Is Foamcore Strong Enough For A Three Tier Cake?

Decorating By nanascakes Updated 16 Jan 2010 , 3:06am by sadsmile

nanascakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
nanascakes Posted 16 Jan 2010 , 1:46am
post #1 of 6

Has anyone ever used 1/2 inch foam core for a three tier cake? 12", 9" and 6" tiers? I am trying to avoid the weight of wood, but I will use it if there is any chance the foamcore isn't strong enough.

5 replies
confectionsofahousewife Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
confectionsofahousewife Posted 16 Jan 2010 , 1:56am
post #2 of 6

I have used it for a three tier cake but I stacked two pieces together just in case. I taped them together along the edges with masking tape and then covered it with freezer paper. It seemed pretty sturdy. It had to be carried from my parents house to the car and then down into a church basement. I can't imagine how heavy it would have been had it been wood!

Lenette Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Lenette Posted 16 Jan 2010 , 2:05am
post #3 of 6

You will be fine! I have stacked 4 tier cakes on the thicker foamcore and it traveled over an hour with no problem.

Really for that size I have used the silver cake drums that wilton sells since it's not very heavy. HTH! icon_smile.gif

sadsmile Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sadsmile Posted 16 Jan 2010 , 2:05am
post #4 of 6

Why not try a mirror. That is thin light weight and you can cover it with whatever, food approved paper or fancy foil or even fondant. Trim with a nice ribbon and you are good to go. I got a round mirror at Michaels for a few dollars. Best of all wash and reuse.

nanascakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
nanascakes Posted 16 Jan 2010 , 2:41am
post #5 of 6

Thankyou for the replies. I forgot to mention that this cake will be square. Otherwise I would have used the drums, as they seem very sturdy.

sadsmile Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sadsmile Posted 16 Jan 2010 , 3:06am
post #6 of 6

Try Masonite it's sturdy and light.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%