Fondant And Gumpaste Questions

Decorating By cbaummer Updated 16 Jan 2010 , 1:34am by cownsj

cbaummer Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cbaummer Posted 16 Jan 2010 , 1:16am
post #1 of 2

I am making a Minnie Mouse Cake which will have fondant and gumpaste accents. The cake will be frosted with SMBC.
Should I make these well ahead of the party so they can dry?
Do I store them in a container or let them air dry?
If the accents are laying on the cake do they need anything to stick?
Which would work better for polka dots which lay flat on the cake, gumpaste or fondant.
Does royal icing stick to fondant?
I know a lot of questions but I am new.

Thanks

1 reply
cownsj Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cownsj Posted 16 Jan 2010 , 1:34am
post #2 of 2

New........ Old........ everyone has questions and you're sure to get lots of answers. Just keep asking away.

I can't speak for others, but for me, if I have a piece that needs to stiffen up before using, I make them as far ahead as I can so they do have proper time to set. I put mine on a cookie sheet with a piece of waxed paper under it. I make it, then the next morning I turn it over so the other side an get air and begin to dry. I turn them over from time to time until I know they are set.
If you are laying accents on buttercream, then they will stick to the buttercream, but if they are going onto a fondant covered cake I use a little vanilla to make them stick.
For simple circles going on the cake I use fondant just because it's easier to eat when served. If it's going on buttercream I'll make them in advance so they are sure to hold their shape. If they are going onto fondant, then I make them as I put them on the cake so they stick nicely together without any gaps.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%