Fondant Balls And Ribbons

Decorating By candyapplekc Updated 22 Jan 2010 , 11:45am by candyapplekc

candyapplekc Posted 16 Jan 2010 , 1:14am
post #1 of 8

Hi everyone, could someone tell me how to get those fondany ball that border cakes to look "perfect". I;ve seen so many CCer's have balls that are the same size and look great! Are they using some type of former? If so where can I get my hands on one?

Second what type of roller is used for the fondany/gumpasted ribbon to give it that ripple look effect? I dont know the name of it but Sharon Zambito uses it on a lot of her bows.

Thanks!
Kim

7 replies
sandykay Posted 16 Jan 2010 , 1:28am
post #2 of 8

One good way to make the balls all the same size it to cut them all the same before you roll them into balls. Example roll out your fondant and use a small round cutter one about the size of a half dollar then cut on half makes a good size ball.

lecie Posted 16 Jan 2010 , 4:23am
post #3 of 8

PEARL MOLD, YOU CAN ORDER IT AT SUGAR ARTS AND SOME CAKE SUPPLY STORES MAY SELL IT. TAKE CARE

Chippi Posted 16 Jan 2010 , 4:39am
post #4 of 8

A Melon baller makes same size balls. Fill it and scrape it then roll them. icon_smile.gif

FlourPots Posted 16 Jan 2010 , 6:41am
post #5 of 8

You can use a measuring spoon...the 1/2 tsp. size works well..fill it with fondant...use your thumb to flatten, then rub around the spoon's edge to cut off the excess. Tap out the fondant and roll it into a ball.

For the beaded purse handle I just posted, I actually used the method sandykay mentioned...I rolled out my fondant using the Wilton small roller with the purple sizing rings, then I used a small cutter to cut (I think) 3 circles for each bead is the size I liked. This method was even more precise: http://www.cakecentral.com/modules.php?name=gallery&file=displayimage&pid=1557011⊂=1557015

AngelaM Posted 16 Jan 2010 , 7:09pm
post #6 of 8

Sandy I LOVE the idea of rolling out and cutting with a round cutter!

MadMillie Posted 16 Jan 2010 , 7:22pm
post #7 of 8

Sharon Zambito sells the one she uses in the video on her website. Her prices are very competitive. She is closed through the 24th of January. If you are in a hurry check Global Sugar Art or Country Kitchen SweetArt.

candyapplekc Posted 22 Jan 2010 , 11:45am
post #8 of 8

Thank you all for your suggestions. I have used my circle cutter but mine just don't look as good as everyone else to me. But maybe I'm being over critical of my work.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%