Very New To Cake Decorating

Decorating By charitydawn Updated 16 Jan 2010 , 4:54am by Makeitmemorable

charitydawn Posted 15 Jan 2010 , 11:25pm
post #1 of 7

I'm sure this is a silly question for most people on here. But how the heck do you deliver a tier cake?
None of the cake boxes around here are big enough to put a tier cake in

6 replies
pattycakesnj Posted 15 Jan 2010 , 11:37pm
post #2 of 7

If I am delivering it already stacked, I don't bother with a box or just use a base box that it sits in, no cover.

MalibuBakinBarbie Posted 15 Jan 2010 , 11:55pm
post #3 of 7

Not a silly question at all, charitydawn! icon_smile.gif

If the tiers are separated (meaning there are going to be pillars of some sort in the final presentation), I transport them as individual cakes and assemble at the site. If the cake is of stacked construction (meaning the tiers are constructed to set directly on top of one another), I transport the final cake in one box.

I buy sturdy boxes at the UPS store. They are a bit expensive (considering it's a box); but they are well made and can securely hold the weight of a tiered cake. So for me, they are worth it. I believe they go up to 20" square. I would just suggest wiping the box with a slightly damp ~ not wet ~ cloth to ensure there is no cardboard "dust" clinging to it. Hope this helps!

Welcome to CC, by the way! icon_razz.gif

cownsj Posted 16 Jan 2010 , 12:08am
post #4 of 7

We buy boxes at Home Depot to deliver those cakes. Especially if you turn the box on it's side, the openings are at the front and back of the box, giving more height, great stability and it's easier to slide the cake in and out of the box. The smaller size is something like 12 x 12 x 17, so when on it's side we can slip a 12 inch cake in easily, it fits securly and we have 17 inches of height for it. It costs something like 67 cents, the next size up is easy to transport, measures 18 x 18 x 16 and costs something like a dollar and the large box is tougher to fit in just a car, and I don't have one for size, but that's around $1.30. The prices are great and most people don't want to keep them so we can use them several times and when we don't want them for transport anymore, we can use them at home for storage. Oh, and we always use that spongy nonslip stuff under the cake to keep it from even wanting to move or tip. It only takes a tiny piece of it under the cake board to work.

Texas_Rose Posted 16 Jan 2010 , 12:32am
post #5 of 7

I use the Home Depot boxes too, but I use them right side up and instruct them to cut the side of the box to get the cake out. I've been using the largest box and it fits fine in a station wagon or small SUV.

leah_s Posted 16 Jan 2010 , 3:00am
post #6 of 7

I don't use boxes. Just set the cake on non-skid in the back of the SUV and go.

Makeitmemorable Posted 16 Jan 2010 , 4:54am
post #7 of 7

I agree with Leah_S, I put all of my cakes in the back of my 4WD and delivery them without boxes. Most of them are carved/novelty cakes so they are difficult to put in a box also.

Good luck,

Quote by @%username% on %date%