Stacking A Cake Using Shallow Separators And Fresh Flowers..

Decorating By swes001 Updated 27 Jan 2010 , 8:49pm by conchita

swes001 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
swes001 Posted 15 Jan 2010 , 10:45pm
post #1 of 7

hello...can anyone help me....im doing a 3 tiered wedding cake and she wants fresh flowers inbetween the tiers...i know i need to use shallow dummies and stick the wired flowers into them...can anyone tell me thou do i just dowel the base cakes as normal and just stick the shallow dummies on with royal icing before placing the next boarded cake on top????
shelley

6 replies
kakeladi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kakeladi Posted 16 Jan 2010 , 2:08am
post #2 of 7

Basically yes. Why royal? What icing are you using to cover the cake?
Most of the time if fresh flowers are used, they don't need to be wired. Just use oasis foam as the dummy. Soak it in water, then make sure it's not drippy, wrap in foil and stick the stem of the flower right into it. Helps keep the fl,owers look nice a bit longer.

swes001 Posted 16 Jan 2010 , 11:47pm
post #3 of 7

im using sugar paste on fondant as you call it in the states....im going to use the styrofoam dummies ...the royal ising will just be used to 'glue' the dummy onto the main cake..then ill put the flowers into it and stack it when i get to the venue...i think i may use a mini board underneath the dummy just as a little bit of extra support....i see your point about oasis but my biggest fear would be it leaking and a load of green gunge going all over the cake....can you chop oasis anyway because im not sure id get the sizes that i needed !!!

rainbow_kisses Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
rainbow_kisses Posted 16 Jan 2010 , 11:57pm
post #4 of 7

I have just answered your question on the UK thread. Yes you can cut oasis to size with a sharp knife. Like PP has mentioned wrap it in foil to help make the dummy look prettier if you accidently miss a part and leave a gap showing the dummy.And do place it on a board so that it does not mark the top of the cake underneath. Good luck with your cake.

indydebi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
indydebi Posted 17 Jan 2010 , 1:15am
post #5 of 7

I've made cakes like this and use these push in pillars and just placed the flowers between the tiers, once I got to the venue and assembled the cake. Most flowers are not as fragile as you think and they will last for hours outside of an oasis. I've used fresh flowers a LOT on my cakes and never used an oasis.

http://www.wilton.com/store/site/product.cfm?id=3E3119F0-475A-BAC0-5772682F766C019C&fid=63EB9DA7-475A-BAC0-522158B536D3E04A

swes001 Posted 17 Jan 2010 , 10:58pm
post #6 of 7

they look really good but we have big problems getting stuff like this in the uk!!!!

conchita Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
conchita Posted 27 Jan 2010 , 8:49pm
post #7 of 7

I agree with indydebi fresh flowers will last for hors outside the oasis you don't have to use it. good luck

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%