The Wasc Cake Recipe Posted On This Site ??? ....

Decorating By Mikel79 Updated 25 Feb 2010 , 3:19am by hazelhuney

Mikel79 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Mikel79 Posted 15 Jan 2010 , 8:19pm
post #1 of 11

Hi All!

Since this recipe is ranked at #2 with over 4000 most saved recipes, I was hoping those of you who use it can answer a couple of questions for me???

1. It states bake at 325 degrees. However, how long does it usually take to cook for 2 8" round size pans?

2. Has anyone baked this recipe at 350 degrees? If so, how long for the same size pans?

3. What brand mix do you have success with??

4. Does this have a tight crumb? Meaning, if I carve/trim this cake to remove any bulging is it going to fall apart??
I appreicate your help.....

10 replies
CTamiLynn Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CTamiLynn Posted 15 Jan 2010 , 8:33pm
post #2 of 11

I only bake @ 325. I never time my cakes (because I always forget to set the timer!). When I start smelling the cake, I check it with my cake tester.

Oh and I used to use DH, but I've found Pillsbury is more moist and it doesn't have a strong chemical smell like the DH (white mix at least).

snocilla Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
snocilla Posted 15 Jan 2010 , 8:38pm
post #3 of 11

It normally take me a little over an hour to cook 8 in rounds at 325. I dont time either, I just check it after a while.

I don't ever cook at 350 just because I started cooking at 325 and it comes out really good, so I'm scared to change it.

I don't think it really matters what brand cake mix you use. I usually by whatever is on sale, and they all come out really good.

pouchet82 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
pouchet82 Posted 15 Jan 2010 , 8:40pm
post #4 of 11

I usually go by trial and error. I have a "jiggle" test that I like to use. As you know, you should not open the oven in the first 45 mins of baking, or ker-plop the middle will sink in. After about 50 mins I turn on the light in the oven and gently shake the oven, if the cake jiggles (like Homer Simpson's belly), it is not ready. Once the cake passes the jiggle test and no longer jiggles, then I open up the oven and use my cake tester. I think last time I made an 8" round it took about 1 hour 10 mins, but every oven is different.

snocilla Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
snocilla Posted 15 Jan 2010 , 8:40pm
post #5 of 11

They don't fall apart on me. I usually freeze mine over night before carving though.

cakesrock Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakesrock Posted 16 Jan 2010 , 1:04am
post #6 of 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mikel79

Hi All!

Since this recipe is ranked at #2 with over 4000 most saved recipes, I was hoping those of you who use it can answer a couple of questions for me???

1. It states bake at 325 degrees. However, how long does it usually take to cook for 2 8" round size pans?

2. Has anyone baked this recipe at 350 degrees? If so, how long for the same size pans?

3. What brand mix do you have success with??

4. Does this have a tight crumb? Meaning, if I carve/trim this cake to remove any bulging is it going to fall apart??
I appreicate your help.....

I bake at 300 for the first 20 mins then turn up to 325 for the remainder- usually 20 mins more. All my cakes turn out great, but the time varies...

I have had success with BC and DH mixes, but prefer DH. The Amazing cho WASC is just as amazing as the original. Everyone LOVES both and many say the original WASC tastes like a Tim Horton's sour cream donut (which they LOVE) .

Yes, it's GREAT for carving, but freeze it first, then carve. I usually level when it's cooled for at least 20 mins.

If you're using a BC filling and you don't like excessively sweet, then I'd recommend you cut the sugar a bit. I don't fill single layers with this recipe anymore. But using IndyDebi's BC does help cut the sweetness...

Enjoy! icon_smile.gif

gourmetsharon Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
gourmetsharon Posted 16 Jan 2010 , 1:15am
post #7 of 11

Sorry to hijack but...

about how many cups does the WASC make?
I am making 2 10" rounds + 2 6" rounds and am trying to figure out how many boxes of cake mix I'll need.

Thanks! Info I was curious about also.

Texas_Rose Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Texas_Rose Posted 16 Jan 2010 , 1:28am
post #8 of 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by gourmetsharon

Sorry to hijack but...

about how many cups does the WASC make?
I am making 2 10" rounds + 2 6" rounds and am trying to figure out how many boxes of cake mix I'll need.

Thanks! Info I was curious about also.

I use 1 1/2 recipes for that, so three boxes of cake mix. My 10" pans are 3" deep and each one will take 1/2 recipe. Then I usually bake 3 of the 6" rounds in a 2" deep pan. Either I make the 6" tier taller (looks great that way) or I let my husband eat the extra layer.

kakeladi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kakeladi Posted 16 Jan 2010 , 1:42am
post #9 of 11

If you are u;sing the *original* WASC recipe the information you ask for is at the bottom of the recipe. Just scroll down all the way to the bottom. There are lots of hints, tips etc there.

Mikel79 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Mikel79 Posted 16 Jan 2010 , 1:42pm
post #10 of 11

Thank you all!

hazelhuney Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
hazelhuney Posted 25 Feb 2010 , 3:19am
post #11 of 11

oh my god ive been cooking it at 350 n comes out great every time, I use 2 use DH but sometimes the cake would break, 2night i tried Pillsbury & the cake came out good didnt fall apart!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%