Bead Molds

Decorating By Sagebrush Updated 15 Jan 2010 , 7:33pm by pouchet82

Sagebrush Posted 15 Jan 2010 , 6:52pm
post #1 of 7

I was considering buying some bead molds. I think the 8mm size seems most useful, but I just noticed that there are 2 different brands on GSA...

The CK 8mm mold is 6" long, and costs $27.99

The First Impressions mold is 12" long, and includes 6mm 8mm and 10mm all in one mold for $26.19

Obviously, pricewise, the First Impressions mold is a far better deal, but I was wondering if there was any reason why the CK one would be preferable, despite the price. Is there a significant difference between the finished products?

- Leisel

6 replies
artscallion Posted 15 Jan 2010 , 7:04pm
post #2 of 7

I don't have these myself. But I do remember a conversation here about bead molds. Apparently, some are more of an open, one-sided mold. You press in the gumpaste and then pop it out, but you only get the rounded bead impression on one side.

The other type of mold forms a coplet, two-sided string of beads, You have to kind of pry the mold open to press the gumpaste in.

The big difference between which you want is how you will use the beads. Will they be for borders where the flat side won't show anyway? Or will they be used in such a way that you might see all sides of the beads, as in a string of them hanging out of a jewelry box cake. Maybe someone here will know which mold is which.

lyndim Posted 15 Jan 2010 , 7:06pm
post #3 of 7

I use First Impression molds and love them, very durable and easy to use. I haven't used CK molds so I'm not sure if there any better. icon_smile.gif

Sagebrush Posted 15 Jan 2010 , 7:22pm
post #4 of 7
Quote:
Originally Posted by artscallion

The big difference between which you want is how you will use the beads. Will they be for borders where the flat side won't show anyway? Or will they be used in such a way that you might see all sides of the beads, as in a string of them hanging out of a jewelry box cake. Maybe someone here will know which mold is which.

I had mostly imagined using them as borders where a smaller cake is sitting on top of the larger cake. I wonder if the more complete one would look any better in that instance... that 90 degree angle is not exactly a flat space.

I hadn't thought of having a string of pearls hanging out where you could see all sides... I wonder how hard it would be to "glue" two strings w/ flat backs together to form pearls that can be seen from all sides, and if that would look good anyways.

- Leisel

tiggy2 Posted 15 Jan 2010 , 7:22pm
post #5 of 7

I have the CK molds and they are 2 sided molds. Great for making a string of pearls.

dchockeyguy Posted 15 Jan 2010 , 7:33pm
post #6 of 7

I don't like the CK molds at all. I like the First Impression, buta s someone mentioned, they are not fully round. And you can't glue them toegther, unless you went through and cut them in half.

pouchet82 Posted 15 Jan 2010 , 7:33pm
post #7 of 7

CK are 2 sided and first impressions are 1 sided. I think if you click on the desciption on global sugar art it should tell you which is which

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%