Mmf - Sitting Time

Decorating By jadedlogic Updated 16 Jan 2010 , 11:28am by anamado

jadedlogic Posted 15 Jan 2010 , 6:34pm
post #1 of 6

Is 8 to 10 hours after making mmf long enough for it to sit? Also, the recipe I used called for 16 oz marshmallows 2 tbsp water and 2 lbs icing sugar but said not to use all the sugar, but when I made it it took all the sugar so it was not sticky anymore. Is it still going to turn out okay?

5 replies
pbeckwith Posted 15 Jan 2010 , 8:16pm
post #2 of 6

I'm definitely no MMF expert but I would think 8 - 10 hours is good. I've never covered a whole cake with it - just accents, stars, ribbons, plaques, dolphins, bats, and even a snake. When I make it, I just use how ever many mm I think I'll need (sometimes just a half a bag), and a spoon of shortening. It works for me especially for coloring it before adding the powdered sugar.

FlourPots Posted 16 Jan 2010 , 6:50am
post #3 of 6

That's plenty of time. I don't add water when I make it...water makes it a sticky mess, instead I add shortening right in with the marshmallows.

madgeowens Posted 16 Jan 2010 , 7:42am
post #4 of 6

really flourpots? I do use 2 tbs of water, and I do find it a STICKY MESS, what recipe do you use? thanks

FlourPots Posted 16 Jan 2010 , 8:38am
post #5 of 6

Most of my cakes are for fun...so I don't add flavor...when I make one that will be eaten, I add vanilla & creme bouquet (Magic Line brand) to my MMF.

I use Kraft MM's, the 10.5 oz. bag (tried 2 other brands, Wal-Mart's and a store brand...they didn't even compare...only Kraft for me)
I add 1/2 cup of Crisco if it's to remain white or light colored
* I add 1/3 cup if it's going to be dyed darker
I always add 5 cups of powdered sugar only

I don't use a kitchenaid, I knead in the bowl I've melted the MM's and Crisco in.
I use this formula (with tylose) when modeling figures and things.
I've never had a bad batch, ever.
I ALWAYS microwave a little before I color it, before I use it to model, & before I roll it out to cover a cake...only when coloring do I need a tiny amount of Crisco on my hands...to roll out and to model I don't need any.

Here's the thread that turned me on to this: http://www.cakecentral.com/modules.php?name=Forums&file=viewtopic&t=101181&postdays=0&postorder=asc&&start=0

(I wasn't even around in 07, but it got revived in 09, which is when I saw it, and madge we actually were the last two posters before the thread got locked...I have no idea why???)

anamado Posted 16 Jan 2010 , 11:28am
post #6 of 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by jadedlogic

Is it still going to turn out okay?

Yes...
But if you find it too hard, you can microwave for some seconds, add little drops of water and knead. icon_biggrin.gif
I'm a hugge fan of MMF! I make EVERYTHING with it! Covering, accents and modelling!
The recipe I use is this one, and it's the original too:

http://cakecentral.com/recipes/14618/marshmallow-fondant-2

Happy decorating!!!!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%