Drying Gumpaste Quicker

Decorating By natlteam10 Updated 15 Jan 2010 , 9:41pm by BlakesCakes

natlteam10 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
natlteam10 Posted 15 Jan 2010 , 6:34pm
post #1 of 5

I am making a record for a cake that is due tomorrow night. I cut it out last night (about 1/8" thick) and "painted" it last night with black food coloring gel. This morning it was still very pliable. I am worried because I still need to paint the back side of the record and it needs to be stiff so that it will stand up on top of the cake. Is there a way to shorten the drying time of gumpaste? I know it is pretty humid here right now (been raining for the past 2 days) and it is cool outside. Can I put it in the oven or use a blow dryer to expedite things?

Thanks

4 replies
UpAt2am Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
UpAt2am Posted 15 Jan 2010 , 6:46pm
post #2 of 5

random question: do you have a food dehydrator? it will suck out the moisture. as far as oven, i've never done it, but someone else might chime in or you can search for it b/c i remember someone posting about it.

TexasSugar Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
TexasSugar Posted 15 Jan 2010 , 8:19pm
post #3 of 5

Put it on a bed of cornstarch under a desk lamp.

Next time I would dry the piece first then paint it after dry.

icer101 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
icer101 Posted 15 Jan 2010 , 8:24pm
post #4 of 5

when i am working with g/p .. i use cornstarch.. then i sat whatever peices i make in front of a table fan.. works great for me.. hth

BlakesCakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
BlakesCakes Posted 15 Jan 2010 , 9:41pm
post #5 of 5

I think that having painted it before it's dry, you may have a long time to wait before it's dry. The gel/paste color acts like saran wrap and keeps the moisture in the gum paste longer.

I'd suggest re-making the record in dark grey or black gum paste and then drying it flat on a cookie sheet in your oven on the lowest setting --mine goes down to 170 degrees--for an hour, or so.

I do this quite often with flat items and it's worked very well. I'd allow it to cool completely and then paint it.

HTH
Rae

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%