Anyone Have Tips For My First Fishing Boat Cake?

Decorating By uk2usa Updated 23 Jan 2010 , 2:54pm by funwithsugar

uk2usa Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
uk2usa Posted 15 Jan 2010 , 5:44pm
post #1 of 4

Its for a friend's boss' birthday. I've always done round and square cakes. So I want to be able to do something completely different. I'm so nervous. Do you have any advice for putting together? Thanks in advance.

3 replies
Makeitmemorable Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Makeitmemorable Posted 16 Jan 2010 , 5:05am
post #2 of 4

They are not the easiest cakes to do - I baked a rectangle shaped cake and made a template of the shape. I pre made the canopy and let it dry - it was made from fondant. I also pre made the railing - they were made from icing - it used my icing gun to get the shape of the railing and posts and then put them on the cake last.

You will need a photo to look at when you are making it to ensure that you get the right shape.

Here is the link to the photos on cc - there are more photos of this boat.
http://www.cakecentral.com/cake-photo_1472553.html

Good luck, let me know if I can help any more.
LL

msthang1224 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
msthang1224 Posted 23 Jan 2010 , 2:37am
post #3 of 4

I have never done a boat b ut I was thinking maybe it might be a lil easier for you to get the shape you want, if you bake maybe oval shaped cakes and then start from there. Just a thought.

funwithsugar Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
funwithsugar Posted 23 Jan 2010 , 2:54pm
post #4 of 4

Bass Pro Shops is a great way to start. If there is one close to you, stop in and pick up a flier. Go see what you are up against with regards to detail. I would start with a rectangle cake several layers thick and then carve the front. The back is usually pretty squared off. Use modeling chocolate to form the motors and other goodies. If I am going to do a custom cake and am able, I always take a field trip. Have fun.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%