Questions About Satin Ice Fondant

Decorating By Sagebrush Updated 21 Jan 2010 , 6:44pm by prterrell

Sagebrush Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Sagebrush Posted 15 Jan 2010 , 4:47pm
post #1 of 23

I wanted to get some Satin Ice to try it out since so many people seem to like it so much. I figure it will also give me a chance to see what sort of texture & pliability I should be aiming for when I'm making my own fondant at home.

My question is regarding the colors. I thought I'd get some red because Valentine's day is coming up and I keep reading about how trying to color your own red can end up making your fondant crumbly. Is the taste and workability of the colors the same as the white, or do I also need to get some white to get a really good idea of what a proper fondant should look and feel like?

TIA

- Leisel

22 replies
ZoesMum Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ZoesMum Posted 15 Jan 2010 , 4:53pm
post #2 of 23

I used the Satin Ice Red for Christmas, and found that it was a really bright red, so I actually added some black Satin Ice to tone it down a bit...but you could do the same with colouring. The taste was very similar to the white, although I found the texture was a little bit different from the white...had to use a little more Crisco while I was working with it. Overall still very easy to work with though...good luck!

cownsj Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cownsj Posted 15 Jan 2010 , 5:06pm
post #3 of 23

I agree with Zoesmum that the taste is about the same as white. Instead of using crisco when working it it, I add a bit of confectioners sugar to it. It hasn't affected the intensity of the color, but does make it bit less sticky. I love having their red and black fondant. And their dark chocolate is harder to work with, but tastes just like a delicious brownie; so it's worth the extra work.... lol

Win Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Win Posted 15 Jan 2010 , 5:12pm
post #4 of 23

I've used the white, red, black, and just recently purchased blue. I posted a few days ago because I was surprised the blue is Peacock blue, but was reassured I can tone it down with white.

Satin Ice is not my favorite product, but it is good for any number of reasons including saving one the trouble of trying to make black fondant. It dries really hard. One can thump a cake when covered in SI and it sounds like a ripe melon. icon_lol.gif It's not always the most cooperative when rolling out either.

I've actually come to the point of finding my ideal fondant being a combination of Satin Ice and Michele Foster's. I mix them half and half. I get a pliability I love and a richer taste.

leslie2748 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
leslie2748 Posted 15 Jan 2010 , 5:40pm
post #5 of 23

I have noticed the same thing with the thumping! LOL! I really, relly prefer my Michele Foster Fondant recipe for white, hands down best of anything I've purchased. However, I ALWAYS but SI brown. Have used their red also for color intensity, but only for accessory pieces, not for full coverage (again...that thumping...and it also seems hard to roll out). I would like to try Fondarific someday icon_surprised.gif)

Peridot Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Peridot Posted 15 Jan 2010 , 5:50pm
post #6 of 23

I always buy red and black Satin Ice and I also got the green which is a bright Christmas/Kelly green (just what I was looking for).

I add white fondant to my Satin Ice and I do not add white Satin Ice. I use another brand - I currently use Jennifer Dontz's recipe and that uses Pettinice Fondant. This helps tremendously with making it less sticky and tones down the intensity some what as the colors are very bright and saturated. I use a little cornstarch when I roll my fondant. Shortening makes SI more sticky - for me anyway.

Win - thanks for stating what color the blue is as I have been thinking about buying that color next for a project.

Wendoger Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Wendoger Posted 15 Jan 2010 , 6:05pm
post #7 of 23

Same as what leslie said....I only use the red and black for accent pieces....soooo hard to roll out and cover a whole cake.

If I need a cake to be all black or all red, I cover it in white Satin Ice (which i love) and then airbrush.

I have used Fondarific for accents pieces as well but have not covered a whole cake.
That stuff tastes awesomeicon_wink.gif

jodibug0975 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jodibug0975 Posted 15 Jan 2010 , 6:08pm
post #8 of 23

I have used up most of a 20lb bucket of white SI and have no complaints about it. It does not taste AS good as Michelle Fosters, but it is good enough and saves me a ton of work.

I just rec'd a 20lb order of dark chocolate SI on Wed night. Haven't worked with it yet, but I did taste a pinch of it and it was delicious! I can't wait to work with it!

dchockeyguy Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
dchockeyguy Posted 15 Jan 2010 , 7:35pm
post #9 of 23

The red doesn't taste any differently. I do think it needs to be tinted a litlte, as I'm not a huge fan of the shade of red, but it's easily fixable.

cownsj Posted 17 Jan 2010 , 2:08pm
post #10 of 23

As for the brightness of the colors of the Satin Ice. . . The do that intentionally for color blending. They do have a color chart and tell you how many parts of blue you add to how many parts of another color, etc., to get any shade you want. I don't know of any stores that carry their chart, but maybe they would be willing to send them to people. I only know it exists because they are near here and when we took our Wilton class, someone from the class found out about them because her friend works for Satin Ice. She sent some samples for everyone in the class, along with the color blending chart.

Loucinda Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Loucinda Posted 17 Jan 2010 , 2:17pm
post #11 of 23

The color blending chart is on their website. Here is a link to it (hopefully it won't get blocked) http://www.satinfinefoods.com/color.htm

There is also a TON of info on their site too - several videos that are quick to watch. Great site!

cownsj Posted 17 Jan 2010 , 4:58pm
post #12 of 23

I hadn't thought to check their site, thanks for looking it up.

Loucinda Posted 17 Jan 2010 , 5:04pm
post #13 of 23

You're welcome! icon_smile.gif

Win Posted 17 Jan 2010 , 7:23pm
post #14 of 23

I guess I should clarify my statement about rolling out the SI.. it rolls like a dream, but dries so quickly that it will "elephant skin" on those darker colors if one is not quick and efficient. (my experience)

I knew they saturate the colored fondant for mixing purposes, but I think I was expecting the blue to be more of a "royal" vs. a "peacock." icon_lol.gif I just see peacock as being a green-based blue and was worried it would not wash out to the baby blue that is used on the cakes people make that combine the blue background with the brown accents.

Thanks for the chart, Loucinda, I knew I had seen it before, but couldn't remember where. The website, duh! icon_redface.gif

Loucinda Posted 17 Jan 2010 , 7:34pm
post #15 of 23

Just an FYI - when I googled the color chart, there was a website that came up that you could order a "sample" of colored satin ice. (I think it was 5.99??) Anyways - for those that would like to see what the colors really look like, it might be worth ordering.

Win Posted 17 Jan 2010 , 8:41pm
post #16 of 23
Quote:
Originally Posted by Loucinda

Just an FYI - when I googled the color chart, there was a website that came up that you could order a "sample" of colored . (I think it was 5.99??) Anyways - for those that would like to see what the colors really look like, it might be worth ordering.

I got three of those sample-sized in a gift bag at the last competition I entered. They were fantastic! They were also red and black and convinced me (especially with the black) that I never wanted to try tinting either of those colors by hand again! thumbs_up.gif

jonahsmom Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jonahsmom Posted 18 Jan 2010 , 12:46am
post #17 of 23

Okay, so I'm reading this and I've been thinking of trying some Satin Ice as well. I'd like to order the red, but I don't want to be able to roll the cake down the hall because the fondant is so stiff! If I order the red, and mix it with MFF (white) half and half, will it still be red? I know you all said the colors are super saturated. Just want to make sure before I do it!

And if I ordered black and mixed it half and half with MFF (white), will it still be black?

Win Posted 18 Jan 2010 , 1:43am
post #18 of 23
Quote:
Originally Posted by jonahsmom

Okay, so I'm reading this and I've been thinking of trying some as well. I'd like to order the red, but I don't want to be able to roll the cake down the hall because the fondant is so stiff! If I order the red, and mix it with MFF (white) half and half, will it still be red? I know you all said the colors are super saturated. Just want to make sure before I do it!

And if I ordered black and mixed it half and half with MFF (white), will it still be black?

Unfortunately, I don't think your colors will stay true if you mix at that ratio. For instance, the color chart mentioned previously would mix blue, red and pink for an antique red. It does dry hard, but it is not inedible in any sense of the word. For true red and black, it would be best to use it straight from the tub.

edited to finish a thought... icon_biggrin.gif

jonahsmom Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jonahsmom Posted 18 Jan 2010 , 3:30am
post #19 of 23

Thanks Win!!!!

AngelFood4 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
AngelFood4 Posted 18 Jan 2010 , 4:02am
post #20 of 23

I've used the red SI on one of my cakes before and was almost in tears at how poorly it handled. I loved the color but it was very soft and I got all these tiny hairline cracks everywhere and just hated it. Their Dark Chocolate tastes really good and I've mixed it with Black coloring to get a very nice, bold, black. But again, it was very soft and hard to work with too.

I love working with MMF and was determined to try to make red myself. I am proud to say that I have succeeded and the recipe is posted on my facebook page. I used a box of strawberry Jello and a 1 oz bottle of the Wilton No Taste Red...worked like a charm. So smooth, easy to work with, and smelled and tasted very, very good!

sheilabelle Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sheilabelle Posted 21 Jan 2010 , 5:08pm
post #21 of 23

How long can you store the fondant. I would like to get some red and black to use for accent items, so it would take a while to use the whole tub of fondant. If I store it in the fridge will it last a long time?

Kitagrl Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Kitagrl Posted 21 Jan 2010 , 5:31pm
post #22 of 23

I never store my fondant in the fridge, it seems to last a long time...but I don't know how long is "long" to some. icon_smile.gif

I like Satin Ice...I'm sure there are better fondants out there but I'm not ready to spend that kind of money because I go through it kind of fast. I do like how it gets "hard" on the cake because I think it adds added stability to the cake, especially 3D stuff. And its not hard to cut through..just firm....its not "hard" as in royal icing hard! Just "firm". And I like how I can make a last minute decoration...add a bit of tylose...and in an hour or so its set firm enough for me to use on the cake. Many times I will make a bow right on the cake and stuff a bit of paper towel in to keep the loops open...and within an hour I can remove the paper towel and I'm good to go.

I think with any fondant you have to get used to it. I think the colored fondants are a little more sticky than the white...the chocolate fondant is a little more stiff than the white.

prterrell Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
prterrell Posted 21 Jan 2010 , 6:44pm
post #23 of 23

All of the Satin Ice vanilla fondants have the same taste. All of the colors are slightly stickier than the white. All of the colors are super bright and concentrated. This is so you can custom-blend your shade by mixing the color(s) with the white fondant.

HTH!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%