Help!!! I Used Color Flow Poweder Instead Of Meringue!!!

Baking By momo4shosho Updated 15 Jan 2010 , 5:28pm by TexasSugar

momo4shosho Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
momo4shosho Posted 15 Jan 2010 , 4:19pm
post #1 of 5

SO I grabbed my color flow powder instead of my meringue and made a double batch of buttercream icing!!!! Im so upset!! Any opinions on how to fix or what I should do??? Do I still use it...chuck it and start over?? What a waste of baking products!!! PLEASE ADVISE!!! icon_cry.gif

4 replies
artscallion Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
artscallion Posted 15 Jan 2010 , 4:27pm
post #2 of 5

According to the Wilton website, both colorflow & meringue powder are basically powdered egg whites. The difference between the two is that meringue powder also contains cream of tarter, while colorflow contains sodium laurye sulfate, a whipping agent.

"Substitution of Color Flow Mix for Royal Icing
Color Flow Mix can be used in place of Wilton Meringue Powder to make royal icing. Follow the same recipe substituting Color Flow in same proportions. Color Flow recipe will be shinier and more brittle. Meringue Powder usage will create a lighter, fluffier icing because cream of tartar is present."

Is this for a professional order? How would you be using the buttercream?

TexasSugar Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
TexasSugar Posted 15 Jan 2010 , 4:47pm
post #3 of 5

Does the bettercream taste any different? If not then I'd use it. You can smear some on some wax paper to test the crusting factors but my guess is that it will work out fine.

momo4shosho Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
momo4shosho Posted 15 Jan 2010 , 5:02pm
post #4 of 5

Nah..I just had a lot of phone calls going on at the same time I was preparing my icing. Its for a birthday cake for a friend...a "freebie", but just dont want people not liking it because of taste. It will be at work, probably shared by others, and not a great way for referrals if it doesnt taste that great. I tasted it, Im sure no one would know...BUT I DO!! SIGH!!! icon_sad.gif

Maybe Im just freaking out for nothing...LOL!!

Thanks for the feedback...etc..

TexasSugar Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
TexasSugar Posted 15 Jan 2010 , 5:28pm
post #5 of 5

Is there someone else around that can taste it for you, with out telling them you did something wrong?

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%