Lastest Trends In Wedding Cakes

Decorating By AfordRN Updated 15 Jan 2010 , 6:48pm by sugaah

AfordRN Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
AfordRN Posted 15 Jan 2010 , 4:07pm
post #1 of 9

Can anyone tell me if there is any new trends in wedding cakes?? I am very new to this and would like to be "in on" any trendy things that are happening with wedding cakes. Is there a certain shape?? Square, hex, round? Stripes, gumpaste vs fresh flowers?
Thanks for getting me in the loop icon_wink.gif

8 replies
2SchnauzerLady Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
2SchnauzerLady Posted 15 Jan 2010 , 4:18pm
post #2 of 9

Bump - nice to see another nurse here!

indydebi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
indydebi Posted 15 Jan 2010 , 4:22pm
post #3 of 9

I don't believe in trends. Here's my blog on why: http://cateritsimple.blogspot.com/search/label/trend

It's such a conflict. We market cakes as "custom designed just for you" and then tell a bride "Oh, here's what you should get because that's what everyone else is getting! It's the latest trend!" icon_confused.gif

For example, you asked about shapes. In my blog is the story of the cake person who told me to take my square cakes off of my website because they weren't "in". Hmmm.... I make and sell more squares than any other shape. Evidently they are "in" with my brides!

I dont' believe in trends and refuse to acknowledge them. A bride can have any cake she wants, whether it's "trendy" or not, whether it's something new that's never been done or whether it's a duplicate of her mother's wedding cake. I just refuse to buy into the marketing schpeal of "trends".

Win Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Win Posted 15 Jan 2010 , 4:39pm
post #4 of 9

That being said... bridal magazines and websites are touting tropical colors as being "hot." ('scuse the pun)

I'm not much on trends either simply because the area in which I live tends to run two years behind in "'trends."

Your bride will dictate what she desires in a cake. She will have been pouring through magazines and websites and will find what she believes to be the perfect wedding cake design --for her-- it might combine a few different design elements/looks. It's hard to say what each individual may or may not find attractive in a design which is why it is hard to pin down a "trend."

AfordRN Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
AfordRN Posted 15 Jan 2010 , 5:31pm
post #5 of 9

Thanks for the info. I had the fear a bride would say to me, "I don't really know what I want, whats popular right now" so I was hoping to be able to have a response.

indydebi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
indydebi Posted 15 Jan 2010 , 5:57pm
post #6 of 9
Quote:
Originally Posted by AfordRN

Thanks for the info. I had the fear a bride would say to me, "I don't really know what I want, whats popular right now" so I was hoping to be able to have a response.

Pick out the cake you like making the most and tell her that's the one that's SO in! icon_biggrin.gif

katev17 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
katev17 Posted 15 Jan 2010 , 6:12pm
post #7 of 9
Quote:
Originally Posted by indydebi

Pick out the cake you like making the most and tell her that's the one that's SO in! icon_biggrin.gif

I love this tactic - I had to use it just last weekend!

I seem to get all the brides who don't know what they want. It can be great because it really gives you freedom to be creative... but at the same time it can be difficult to get an idea of what will make your bride/couple happy. The key is knowing what questions to ask to get a better sense of what they will like. (i.e. colours, themes, shapes, etc... what flowers will she be having, stuff like that!) Be prepared - have some of your own books or magazines nearby so if you feel like she really doesn't know what she wants, she can go through and show you what appeals to her. You will definitely get a better sense of her tastes.

As Deb has pointed out, trends are pretty much useless! Just because it's popular doesn't mean it's right for your client - they will be much happier having a design that is customised to suit them and their personality rather than having something that looks like everything else out there at the moment! =)

Good luck, and hope it all goes well!

leah_s Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
leah_s Posted 15 Jan 2010 , 6:35pm
post #8 of 9

Well, I guess I'd odd woman out. For me the hottest trend for the last few years - and what continues to be hot - is taking elements of the wedding gown and translating that into cake. In fact it's what I advertise as my specialty - mimicing lace, ruching, embroidery, etc on the cake.

sugaah Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sugaah Posted 15 Jan 2010 , 6:48pm
post #9 of 9

and the "trend" of offering a certificate for the top tier of the cake to be made fresh for the first anniversary as opposed to saving that cake for a year.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%