Questions About Ganache Under Fondant

Decorating By __Martha__ Updated 9 Feb 2010 , 12:16am by Rosie2

Darthburn Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Darthburn Posted 17 Jan 2010 , 11:49pm
post #31 of 41

Thank you Sandylee - I've been hobby-caking for like 3 years now and just now feel like I am really learning. Something that is nice is the amount of time it takes to make a cake now. Freezing cakes, making fondant the day before... it all seems to really make it go quickly. I did all the fondant covering and decorating in about 4 hours (and it looks like a 4 hour job lol!) but 3 years ago that would have taken me 8 to 12 hours. First time I made my Jack cake took like 17 hours and the second was not only drastically better but only took me 5 hours to make everything and 5 to assemble and decorate. So with time improvements happen icon_smile.gif

You came to the right place for what you have to learn... everyone here has been so helpful, I'm very thankful for them.

Good luck, I know you'll accomplish great feats!

__Martha__ Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
__Martha__ Posted 18 Jan 2010 , 12:44am
post #32 of 41
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sandylee05

Hello,
When you are figuring your ratio, do you melt and measure the chocolate or do you weigh the chocolate and the cream?

Thanks!
Sandy

I weighed before doing anything.

Darthburn Posted 18 Jan 2010 , 12:55am
post #33 of 41

Just curious Martha - did 1 pound of cream equal 16oz?

Or are you saying you measured like 3 pounds of chocolate?

I just use 1 pound morsel bags... so I know they are a pound each and a half pint or pint depending on how much I'm making.

icon_smile.gif

verosuperstar Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
verosuperstar Posted 18 Jan 2010 , 1:52am
post #34 of 41

I have never used ganache under fondant, in fact I've never used ganache at all. I'll give it a try, it sounds jummie.

mrsmontgomery Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mrsmontgomery Posted 26 Jan 2010 , 2:09am
post #35 of 41

Hi, I have read everything so far but I guess I am a little behind as I still don't understand what to do. I have a topsy turvy wedding cake coming up and I really want to get clean edges so i would like to put ganache under the fondant. Does anyone mind giving me directions from the beginning? I found a recipe that said to heat 1 pint of cream just to boiling and pour over 16oz of semi sweet choc chips then add 2 tsp vanilla after it is mixed. Where do I go from here? Chill/dont chill..pour on or smooth on w spatula. Do I have to crumb coat my cake first? They want red velvet w cream cheese and I didn't plan on making any buttercream. Sorry for so many questions. Thank you so much!

Rylan Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Rylan Posted 26 Jan 2010 , 2:16am
post #36 of 41
Darthburn Posted 26 Jan 2010 , 4:47am
post #37 of 41

Listen to Rylan... she is the Master Jedi of ganashe.

I'm just a Padawan... but learning...icon_smile.gif

mrsmontgomery Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mrsmontgomery Posted 27 Jan 2010 , 10:34pm
post #38 of 41

Thank you so much. I'm working on a b-day cake for a friend which is really more for practice and a surprise for him. Ill post pics when I'm done. One more thing, have you ever done a topsy turvy Rylan? If so, what method do you prefer for assembly? (cardboard cake circles or SPS)TIA

Rylan Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Rylan Posted 28 Jan 2010 , 3:52am
post #39 of 41

Darthburn, you are funny! Hehe.

Mrsmontgomery, I have not made a topsy turvy cake before. If I were to make it, I'd most likely use just cardboard circles. I do not have SPS.

MissCakeCrazy Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MissCakeCrazy Posted 28 Jan 2010 , 12:56pm
post #40 of 41

I am going to do 2 cakes (6" and 10") with a white choc ganache underneath. I know that the ratio is 3:1 with white choc but can someone tell me the exxact measurement I need?

Rosie2 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Rosie2 Posted 9 Feb 2010 , 12:16am
post #41 of 41

Does anyone knows if the cream has to be 'heavy cream'??? what if I use just regular liquid whipping cream?? I want to make the runny kind of dark chocolate ganache....
Another questions is: how can I achieve that shinny look with ganache??

Ok thank you to all!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%