Help - Need Decision Fast!

Decorating By cakesrock Updated 16 Jan 2010 , 4:17am by Brendabeeper

cakesrock Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakesrock Posted 15 Jan 2010 , 2:53pm
post #1 of 8

Caving helmet I made for a friend of a friend. Certainly not my best work , - looks more bike than caving helmet and it's not really the exact shape I was aiming for , but hey, it's cake..And I was willing to live with it until my DH(who is thankfully always very honest) wondered what the indents on top of the helmet were (and alluded to it really being an odd looking helmet). They are supposed to be the air holes.

Now I'm wondering do I cut them out or paint them so they look more like air holes?! The cake is due in a couple of hours, so I have so time. But then I'm committed and if I mess it up, then it's too late....

I don't think these people are very picky. They live out of town and don't have much access to cake (my friend is driving out for the party) and were thrilled that I could make a gluten-free helmet that could light up.
But it's me that has an issue now...I think it will look better if cut out. I'm torn....

I would appreciate any advice!

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
LL

7 replies
joyfullysweet Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
joyfullysweet Posted 15 Jan 2010 , 2:56pm
post #2 of 8

I personally would just paint them in a dark color. The cake looks wonderful!

tannersmom Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tannersmom Posted 15 Jan 2010 , 3:07pm
post #3 of 8

You could paint it a darker color. But I agree that cutting it out would look better. If you have time to fix any mistakes that may come from cutting it. I'd cut them out.

HTH
Stephanie

KHalstead Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
KHalstead Posted 15 Jan 2010 , 3:08pm
post #4 of 8

I would color some fondant black and stick it down into the holes to give the "illusion" that they are holes. That way if you don't feel it looks good/better, they'll be easy to remove and you'll have your original cake back with no problems to fix!

By the way, I think it looks awesome the way it is!

raquel1 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
raquel1 Posted 15 Jan 2010 , 3:32pm
post #5 of 8

Agree with khalstead about black fondant cut outs. I used that for a toilet paper roll cake and the black cut out looked like the center hole. And if you don like the way it looks (I think you will like it) you can take them out...

cakesrock Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakesrock Posted 15 Jan 2010 , 11:55pm
post #6 of 8

Thanks for the advice. I ended up painting it- I THINK it looks better but I'm not really that happy with the cake to begin with...oh well...
LL

Lorieann55 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Lorieann55 Posted 16 Jan 2010 , 3:42am
post #7 of 8

That looks great! I bet they loved it.

Brendabeeper Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Brendabeeper Posted 16 Jan 2010 , 4:17am
post #8 of 8

Looks good, How did you do the light?

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%