Best Way To Attach To Barbie's Hands? Need Help Asap Please

Decorating By AngelaM Updated 15 Jan 2010 , 5:04pm by raquel1

AngelaM Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
AngelaM Posted 15 Jan 2010 , 2:44pm
post #1 of 13

I'm making a Barbie cake for a little girl's birthday right now, and I made a fondant/gumpaste banner with her name on it that I want to sit in Barbie's hands like she's holding it. I was going to use candy melts to attach the banner, but now that the cake's already assembled (I know, should have thought farther ahead and done it first) I can't possibly stand there and hold it until the candy melts dry. I also don't have any RI made and I don't want to make an entire batch just for this banner. Any ideas on how to attach it?

12 replies
TexasSugar Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
TexasSugar Posted 15 Jan 2010 , 3:07pm
post #2 of 13

It doesn't really take candy melts that long to dry does it? I'd say do it with the candy melts. If you need it to dry really fast, what about getting your blow drier and putting it on low and the cold setting, that may help dry it faster.

Kitagrl Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Kitagrl Posted 15 Jan 2010 , 3:08pm
post #3 of 13

Is it possible to tie a string between her hands and then line the string (and hands) with candy melts to give it more of a support when you attach the banner?

DianeLM Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
DianeLM Posted 15 Jan 2010 , 3:10pm
post #4 of 13

I agree with TexasSugar. It won't take more than a few seconds for a speck of candy melts to dry.

raquel1 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
raquel1 Posted 15 Jan 2010 , 3:14pm
post #5 of 13

That is the way I put the birthday girl's name on a Barbie cake and I use a little squeeze of royal icing. You can mix a tiny bit of powdered sugar and a wisper of water, but I would do the candy melt, you only use a tiny dollop and it will dry super fast. You could attach one end to the hand and the other end to the dress if it gives you more stability. HTH

AngelaM Posted 15 Jan 2010 , 3:23pm
post #6 of 13

Ok I'll go give it a try with the candy melts then. Thanks everybody!

AngelaM Posted 15 Jan 2010 , 3:54pm
post #7 of 13

Ugh! Ok I tried the candy melts. I held it for 5-6 minutes and let it go and it seemed to be fine. Walked away, came back and it fell, breaking my banner and messing up the buttercream dress. I've got the banner drying now after I patched it back together, and can probably cover up the messed up buttercream when I finally get the banner on. So, any more ideas please? I thought about just pressing it into the dress but it dried flat and the dress is curved to it doesn't look like it would hold. The banner is probably also a little bit heavier than I would like it.

raquel1 Posted 15 Jan 2010 , 4:10pm
post #8 of 13

Do you have time to make a thinner more "ribbon like" banner? look at my picture, I put her arm down and one end of the banner was able to rest on her dress, the dress end can be segured with a tooth pick covered by a small flower. On the hand side of the banner maybe thin down a bit of gumpsate or fondant with water and make a sticky ball with it that you can form around the hand and tie the banner to it while it dries ( I use a tiny fan I bought a Walmart for this cases...@$5.00) I'm throwing everything I can think of at you, keep us posted.

AngelaM Posted 15 Jan 2010 , 4:15pm
post #9 of 13

Think that's what I'll have to do raquel1. I'll go make a new one now, thank goodness she's not picking up the cake for awhile! BTW your Barbie cake is absolutely breathtaking. Thanks again for all your help.

raquel1 Posted 15 Jan 2010 , 4:16pm
post #10 of 13

If push comes to shove..you may want to make a small batch of royal icing. You can make flowers with the leftover for future use? It just attaches fondant (or anything else for that matter) so well. But weight is a concern because if it is too heavy it just won't work and you may have to attach with wires that you can cover with flowers or thin fondant ribbon bows. hth!

Kitagrl Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Kitagrl Posted 15 Jan 2010 , 4:17pm
post #11 of 13

The string idea did not work? icon_smile.gif Just a piece of crochet thread tied to each hand and coated in candy melts and pressed into the banner should hold pretty well.

AngelaM Posted 15 Jan 2010 , 4:58pm
post #12 of 13

Kitagirl I was afraid to try messing with her hands again after I messed up my bc once, but thanks for the idea!

I ended up making a new banner and pressing it into the bc to cover up the icing I messed up earlier. Here she is! Thanks everybody for coming to the rescue!
LL

raquel1 Posted 15 Jan 2010 , 5:04pm
post #13 of 13

Awww! She is gorgeous! They will love it!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%