Help For 1St Uk Wedding Exhibition Pls!!

Decorating By ikklejo Updated 15 Jan 2010 , 10:40pm by Relznik

ikklejo Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ikklejo Posted 15 Jan 2010 , 1:44pm
post #1 of 14

I wasnt sure where to post this question but im sure someone will help me! Im doing my 1st wedding exhitbition in feb and just have a few questions from someone who has experience in this! Firstly my plan is to dummy about 8 - 10 cake designs, and then make smaller real cakes in exactly the same designs for people to taste - will this be enough to show or should I do more? And is this the right way to go about it? (the table I will be showing on is 6ft I think!) Also my 2nd question is about of course transporting them all to the venue!! It is only about 15 minute drive from my house but im really worried about getting everything there in A* condition! eek can someone advise and help me please icon_smile.gif

Thanks xx

13 replies
KHalstead Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
KHalstead Posted 15 Jan 2010 , 2:09pm
post #2 of 14

I haven't done any but have read NUMEROUS threads on the subject and that seems like an AWEFUL LOT of cakes to have to decorate.

Are you making 8-10 separate dummy cakes?? Some people will decorate one entire half of the cake one theme and the other half a completely different theme, giving you 2 dummy cakes in 1.

As far as your samples go, I don't think they need to be decorated. Once they're cut up nobody will see all your hard work anyhow and it might be more advantageous for you to have the samples precut and even packaged. Maybe get some of those little plastic containers with lids from a party supply/ food service store and put a nice little chunk of frosted cake in there and be sure to stick a label with your bus info on it too. Some people will be sick of trying cake, and this gives them an opportunity to take it with them and try it at their leisure at home when they're a bit more relaxed.

ikklejo Posted 15 Jan 2010 , 2:18pm
post #3 of 14

That is a fantastic idea about pre packaging the cakes thanks!!

Yea I was going to make 8 - 10 different designs of cakes like some 1 tier and some 3 ect?? You think its too much? Altho I like the idea of doing 2 cakes on 1 - is this done alot in the exhibiton game lol I just dont know as ive never been, maybe I need to go walk around one before hand but its just time for me at the moment.

Thanks for your reply - very useful!!

Auntie_RaRa Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Auntie_RaRa Posted 15 Jan 2010 , 3:00pm
post #4 of 14

For me, the space and table helps in planning the number of cakes that I will do. I usually have 6 - 10 cakes depending on the number of tables. There are times I often rent additional tables to make my booth a U shape or the venue might supply the additional at no charge for me. I try to show different styles of cakes from traditional to contemporary and I often have a "fantasy cake" to give the brides an idea of design capability.

I only cut cake once at the very first show I did about 4 years ago and I hated it. I put samples in plastic cups with contact info on the lid and place in containers on the tables. Because I often have up to 5 flavors, I add the flavor on the label and encourage brides to take multiple samples. I've had brides who declined to eat cake at the show because they were all "caked out" take samples home and call for a consultation.

I pack the van very carefully and might even have a friend bring some items that I'm afraid that might damage the cakes.

Good luck with your event!!!

thumbs_up.gif

ikklejo Posted 15 Jan 2010 , 3:37pm
post #5 of 14

Thankyou, do you decorate all your cakes entirley different or as previously mentioned above some people decorate half and half??

Thanks!!

Auntie_RaRa Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Auntie_RaRa Posted 15 Jan 2010 , 3:42pm
post #6 of 14

All my cakes are decorated differently. In the shows I've participated, I've seen a very few half and half decorated cakes. Also, I decorate my cakes in fondant because I will use them again in other events throughout the year.

ikklejo Posted 15 Jan 2010 , 4:12pm
post #7 of 14

Ahh I see, so do you use dummies then? That was one of my thoughts icon_smile.gif

Thanks

bashini Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
bashini Posted 15 Jan 2010 , 6:12pm
post #8 of 14

Hi there, I did two last year. First you need to find out about the size of the table you are getting. If you are getting 6ft table its quite small. But some organizes will give you a big table or another small table at the time of setting up. Both fayres I did had 6ft tables but they were kind enough to give me bigger tables. I was able to keep 5 dummy cakes ( made using styrofoam and decorated with sygarpaste) and a cupcake tower. All 6 cakes are decorated differently. I also took my sugarcraft and put them in between the dummy cakes.

I also baked some cookies, decorated and put them in clear cellophine bags and attached my business postcard ( I got them printed out from VistaPrint) to each one. I have posted the photos if you want to have a look. I gave them to all the custoemrs who came to my table. I baked vanilla sponge, chocolate sponge and fruit cake and cut them into small peices and put them on three small cake stands, so anyone can have a taste. Got a slide show done on my laptop and kept it running all the time on a side of the table.

HTH. icon_biggrin.gif

katev17 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
katev17 Posted 15 Jan 2010 , 6:18pm
post #9 of 14

Just wondering -

When in February is this and where in the UK?

I am going over for a visit and hoped there was a show happening around where I am, but hadn't seen anything.

Good luck! =)

ikklejo Posted 15 Jan 2010 , 9:51pm
post #10 of 14
Quote:
Originally Posted by bashini

Hi there, I did two last year. First you need to find out about the size of the table you are getting. If you are getting 6ft table its quite small. But some organizes will give you a big table or another small table at the time of setting up. Both fayres I did had 6ft tables but they were kind enough to give me bigger tables. I was able to keep 5 dummy cakes ( made using styrofoam and decorated with sygarpaste) and a cupcake tower. All 6 cakes are decorated differently. I also took my and put them in between the dummy cakes.

I also baked some cookies, decorated and put them in clear cellophine bags and attached my business postcard ( I got them printed out from VistaPrint) to each one. I have posted the photos if you want to have a look. I gave them to all the custoemrs who came to my table. I baked vanilla sponge, chocolate sponge and fruit cake and cut them into small peices and put them on three small cake stands, so anyone can have a taste. Got a slide show done on my laptop and kept it running all the time on a side of the table.

HTH. icon_biggrin.gif

Thanks I will have a look, I like the idea with the cookies and the laptop!

Thanks again icon_smile.gif

ikklejo Posted 15 Jan 2010 , 9:52pm
post #11 of 14
Quote:
Originally Posted by katev17

Just wondering -

When in February is this and where in the UK?

I am going over for a visit and hoped there was a show happening around where I am, but hadn't seen anything.

Good luck! =)

Hiya it is on sunday 28th february at the Holiday Inn, Haydock, newton le willows, merseyside

If that helps, come see me if you come icon_smile.gificon_biggrin.gif

katev17 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
katev17 Posted 15 Jan 2010 , 10:21pm
post #12 of 14
Quote:
Originally Posted by ikklejo

Hiya it is on sunday 28th february at the Holiday Inn, Haydock, newton le willows, merseyside

If that helps, come see me if you come icon_smile.gificon_biggrin.gif

Oh shoot - I am only there for the first 2 weeks of February, and I will be in the Hampshire area!

Oh well, good luck all the same!! Hope you get lots of pictures to share =)

And most of all... have fun!

Relznik Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Relznik Posted 15 Jan 2010 , 10:29pm
post #13 of 14

Hi

If you've got a 6' table, then I'd say 8-10 designs is too many. I managed to squeeze these onto a 6' table, but it does look quite cluttered!

When you say you're going to make smaller versions to cut up - do you mean smaller decorated cakes??? Why are you going to the bother of decorating cakes, to to cut up? TOTAL waste of your time. Make up two or three flavours of cake and cut them into small fingers for people to taste. Literally small fingers... I think mine were about half an inch square by 2" deep... these are only tasters, remember!

I did this (vanilla with jam and buttercream topped with marzipan and sugarpaste, rich fruit topped with marzipan and sugarpaste and choc sponge with choc buttercream), then wrapped each one in cling film, then put them into a little box (with my business card inside, so they could remember where they got it!) for people to take away... That way, it's not dry by the end of the day. And I only gave them to people who seemed genuinely interested... not those who were there just to see how many freebies they could come away with!! icon_wink.gif

Relznik Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Relznik Posted 15 Jan 2010 , 10:40pm
post #14 of 14

Grrrr! Why can't I add my photo?

Nope, it's not letting me do it! icon_mad.gificon_mad.gificon_mad.gif

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%