Nervous About A Client Coming Around

Decorating By MissCakeCrazy Updated 15 Jan 2010 , 11:43am by MissCakeCrazy

MissCakeCrazy Posted 15 Jan 2010 , 10:22am
post #1 of 4

Its my first time I am having a bride come to my flat this Sunday and I am really nervous. She says that she has ideas about what she wants and her theme is gold. She contacted me last week and asked if I can do a booking for a wedding this March. I usually say 6 months notice but as I am free and she may be my first customer, I didn't want to let her go. Also, I don't think she'll be able to find someone else in such a short space of time. Can someone give me any tips? Also, I am scared that she will sense that I am nervous... I want to seem experienced.

3 replies
CandyCU Posted 15 Jan 2010 , 11:27am
post #2 of 4

If you're nervous about having her come to you, perhaps you could suggest meeting (in neutral territory) over coffee or something? Also, just have a portfolio with you of what you do - ie. pics, flavours, prices, policies, etc.

I'm sure you'll be fine! Just think of it as a casual meet up with an old friend or acquaintance and be yourself! Remember, she'll probably be a little nervous too! I bet she's having a very hard time trying to find somebody to do her cake with only a couple of months left to go - I remember, I was in the same boat - none of the places I tried would take my order, most of them needed at least 4-6 months notice!

Perhaps a checklist of what you need to ask her? so you don't forget any detail?

sugarandslice Posted 15 Jan 2010 , 11:42am
post #3 of 4

I agree with CandyCU. I had my first client meeting in my house a while ago and was pretty nervous. I had my client booking form to fill out as a starter - if you have a few questions (address, ph no, email, etc) it will probably help you break the ice. Then perhaps ask her to talk you through her ideas - this puts the ball in her court and gives you a chance to further calm down.
Perhaps also think about offering her a cup of coffee etc. I also find it helps to have a few wedding cake magazines on hand. Or your computer on and your favourite cake sites open and ready to look at if she's short on ideas.
You could have a few templates already printed out so you can sketch while she's there.

MissCakeCrazy Posted 15 Jan 2010 , 11:43am
post #4 of 4

I have a baby so the best thing is for her to come around. I just have to make sure that my place is clean and tidy. She has seen all my cakes already so I don't need a portfolio but I have many print outs of cakes that I have seen on the internet which I can show her for ideas. I will also bake a cake for her to try.

Quote by @%username% on %date%