Stencils On Cookies????

Baking By prettysweet Updated 31 Jan 2010 , 6:37am by mrsc808

prettysweet Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
prettysweet Posted 15 Jan 2010 , 5:27am
post #1 of 25

The short video on the use of the heart stencils on fondant covered cookies said to use thinned food coloring. Won't there be a taste with the food colorings, especially deep colors like red? I've seen stenciled cookies where the design is raised so that isn't food coloring. Are there other methods of using the stencils on cookies?Thanks

24 replies
luv2bake6 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
luv2bake6 Posted 15 Jan 2010 , 3:05pm
post #2 of 25

If you go to culinarystencils.com, they have a video on using stencils with royal icing. I think the icing has to be quite thick in order for it not to run into itself.

cookiemookie Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cookiemookie Posted 15 Jan 2010 , 5:55pm
post #3 of 25

I've only used royal icing to stencil my cookies.

I like to use a consistency of natural peanut butter. This works pretty well for me.

luv2bake6 Posted 15 Jan 2010 , 7:39pm
post #4 of 25

and you make gorgeous stencil cookies!

CookieMeister Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CookieMeister Posted 15 Jan 2010 , 8:08pm
post #5 of 25

I've used both, and i prefer the look you get from Royal Icing. I use a spackle knife (just for this purpose, of course) that I got from Home Depot. You scoop some royal icing on the tip, and brush it diagonally across the cookie from upper left to bottom right. Repeat, from lower left to top right. Scrape of the excess, and remove the stencil, lifting straight up.

When you use royal icing, you do have to be careful to wipe the excess royal off the stencil between cookies, or it'll get where you don't want it on the next cookie.

2SchnauzerLady Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
2SchnauzerLady Posted 15 Jan 2010 , 8:15pm
post #6 of 25

Cupcake envy on you tube has a good video of how to apply a stencil. She does it onto fondant, but it still shows you how to do it.

luv2bake6 Posted 15 Jan 2010 , 9:32pm
post #7 of 25

i just saw that clip and it looks like she uses a looser RI. i don't know how she gets it not to run.

bobwonderbuns Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
bobwonderbuns Posted 15 Jan 2010 , 9:46pm
post #8 of 25

Cookiemookie, do you make your own stencils?

pattycakesnj Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
pattycakesnj Posted 15 Jan 2010 , 10:14pm
post #9 of 25

I use RI on my stenciled cookies also, about the consistency of thin frosting. Peanut butter consistency would be too thick for the size of stencils I use on cookies.

bonniebakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
bonniebakes Posted 15 Jan 2010 , 10:34pm
post #10 of 25

I've used royal to stencil on my cookies too - both onto fondant and royal bases. I use a think RI, sort of the consistency of marshmallow fluff, I think...

I think the only pictures I have posted of stenciled cookies are the teacups and the most recent clothes cookies (the sweaters).

toleshed Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
toleshed Posted 15 Jan 2010 , 11:17pm
post #11 of 25

I've never used stencils but just watched cupcake envy on you tube. She puts it on the fondant before the fondant has been put on the cookie. Can't you just put it on after the fondant has already been put on the cookie?

alvarezmom Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
alvarezmom Posted 21 Jan 2010 , 3:33pm
post #12 of 25

cookiemookie-LOVELY cookies!!! Where do you get your stencils from?

TrishL Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
TrishL Posted 26 Jan 2010 , 1:27am
post #13 of 25

Does anyone have any tips on keeping the stencils from moving on the cookie when you are applying the frosting?

bonniebakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
bonniebakes Posted 26 Jan 2010 , 6:48pm
post #14 of 25

hold on tightly and be a contortionist icon_lol.gif

cookiemookie Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cookiemookie Posted 26 Jan 2010 , 7:00pm
post #15 of 25

I try to use just one finger to hold it down and use as few strokes as possible while still getting complete coverage.

I plan my route before I actually do it.

Also having the right consistency of your icing helps tremendously! Once you start spreading it should act as a glue of sorts. I also try to only go over the pattern once and in one direction, any more and it gets messy. I also .

Good luck, it does take practice. Try practicing on parchment paper first.

pattycakesnj Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
pattycakesnj Posted 26 Jan 2010 , 7:04pm
post #16 of 25

I agree with cookiemookie, only 1 pass with the offset spatula and hold down with my other hand

toleshed Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
toleshed Posted 26 Jan 2010 , 7:57pm
post #17 of 25

cookiemookie
Where do you purchase your stencils?
thanks

TrishL Posted 26 Jan 2010 , 10:29pm
post #18 of 25

Thanks for the suggestions! I have practiced on parchment paper, I guess I just need to figure out the right frosting consistancy because it doesn't come out very sharp like CookieMookies!

TrishL Posted 26 Jan 2010 , 10:30pm
post #19 of 25

Thanks for the suggestions! I have practiced on parchment paper, I guess I just need to figure out the right frosting consistancy because it doesn't come out very sharp like CookieMookies!

kakealicious Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kakealicious Posted 27 Jan 2010 , 12:55am
post #20 of 25

Toleshed...I believe cookiemookie gets her stencils from designerstencils.com. I just ordered some for Valentine's and can't wait to get them!

Spectra Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Spectra Posted 27 Jan 2010 , 4:05am
post #21 of 25

So do you just do the one stroke over the stencil and that's it? Or do you then go back and pipe it on thicker?

kakealicious Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kakealicious Posted 27 Jan 2010 , 1:47pm
post #22 of 25

This video by Cupcake Envy on youtube shows you how to do it. The trick is getting the right consistency of your RI...sort of like peanut butter consistency. Hope this helps!

Spectra Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Spectra Posted 27 Jan 2010 , 1:49pm
post #23 of 25

Thank you!

Cookies4kids Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Cookies4kids Posted 30 Jan 2010 , 1:49am
post #24 of 25

For years I made my own stencils for my art work, and now I do it for my cookies. I buy the regular stencil material sheets from a craft store and trace the design I want on them with a fine permanent marker. I use a small very fine tipped scissors to cut them out. Sometimes I do purchase them if the design I want is very intricate.

mrsc808 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mrsc808 Posted 31 Jan 2010 , 6:37am
post #25 of 25

If you are doing multiple colors do you still use RI? Or do you "paint" it on with thinned gel color or luster dust?

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%