How To Colour Fondant?

Decorating By Spectra Updated 17 Jan 2010 , 1:33pm by be123

Spectra Posted 15 Jan 2010 , 3:03am
post #1 of 5

So I went out tonight, and bought two bottles of something called Wilton's Black Icing Colour and the Red as well. Can I use this to colour fondant or is there something better out there?

I also bought some fondant, now I heard Wilton's tastes bad, and the only other option, here in my small city, is called Virgin Ice. It's half the price of Wilton's but I'm not sure if it's any better?

Thanks!

4 replies
FlourPots Posted 15 Jan 2010 , 3:08am
post #2 of 5

You can, but you got the two most difficult colors to achieve in fondant...black and red.
There are threads here with helpful tips to making both.

I use Wilton colors and Americolor. I like them both.

Try making your own fondant...I only use marshmallow fondant now and am very happy with the taste, cost, and ease of use.

cownsj Posted 15 Jan 2010 , 3:27am
post #3 of 5

You might want to check out the global sugar art site for Satin Ice red and black fondant. Their fondant tastes good, and it's so great never having to mix those two colors. I still use Wilton, but for figures and sculpting where it's not as likely someone is going to eat it. Plus, the Wilton is stiffer to begin with so it sets up more quickly. But for covering cakes, I like the Satin Ice. Sorry I don't know anything about Virgin Ice, so I can't comment on that for you.

Spectra Posted 15 Jan 2010 , 3:43am
post #4 of 5

Thank you for the replies. I'm in Eastern Canada, and the shipping charges from Global Sugar Art is the same cost as the fondant icon_sad.gif

If anyone knows of a site in Canada? Possible then the shipping should be cheaper.

I may just try making my own, is there a really good recipe?

be123 Posted 17 Jan 2010 , 1:33pm
post #5 of 5

Try looking at www.goldaskitchen.com
I think it is in Toronto.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%