Buttercream Under Fondant

Decorating By mamawrobin Updated 15 Jan 2010 , 4:49am by mamawrobin

mamawrobin Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mamawrobin Posted 15 Jan 2010 , 1:51am
post #1 of 5

Is it possible to put a thick layer of buttercream on a cake to be covered with fondant? I have only crumb coated my cakes that I've covered in fondant but would like to make this cake with more buttercream as some of my guest do not like fondant.

4 replies
FlourPots Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
FlourPots Posted 15 Jan 2010 , 1:57am
post #2 of 5

I'm not sure how thick you mean, but I crumbcoated and had a nice layer of bc on my latest fondant covered cake.

DianeLM Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
DianeLM Posted 15 Jan 2010 , 2:01am
post #3 of 5

Sure you can. What I do is, ice the cake with buttercream then pop it in the freezer for about 45 minutes or so depending on the size of the cake.

When I apply the fondant, the buttercream is frozen pretty solid (but not the whole cake). By the time the bc thaws, the fondant has firmed up in the nice, smooth form it was applied.

It's not my preference tho. If people want more buttercream, I prefer to torte the cake into more layers and put the buttercream inside.

catlharper Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
catlharper Posted 15 Jan 2010 , 2:26am
post #4 of 5

Unfortunately a thick layer under the fondant can cause problems with smooth application of the fondant. Freezing is a good idea but then you have the chance of gas bubbles when the BC thaws out. I, too, prefer just to torte the cake into more layers and put the BC there. Are you using marshmallow fondant? Many people will eat that type of fondant rather than the storebought type.

mamawrobin Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mamawrobin Posted 15 Jan 2010 , 4:49am
post #5 of 5

Thanks for responding. I think I will just torte and use more buttercream that way. I am using MFF to cover and MMF for decorations. I know that my friend has tasted only the Wilton fondant, like you mentioned. Probably why she doesn't like fondant icon_smile.gif I'm anxious to see what she thinks about the fondant I've made.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%