Forgot The Sugar

Decorating By Wesha Updated 15 Jan 2010 , 4:32am by JustToEatCake

Wesha Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Wesha Posted 14 Jan 2010 , 11:56pm
post #1 of 11

Hey Guys,

I am making a birthday cake for a 1 year old and his little friends. I used the extender receipe and forgot to add the sugar icon_rolleyes.gif . My two sons were worrying me so bad that I completely forgot. Has this ever happened to any of you?

10 replies
SandiOh Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
SandiOh Posted 15 Jan 2010 , 12:21am
post #2 of 11

LOL! One time I forgot to put in half of the flour (don't ask....).

As my 5 year old says, "It happens..." icon_wink.gif

FromScratch Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
FromScratch Posted 15 Jan 2010 , 12:34am
post #3 of 11

Oh yes... it's a good thing I tasted the batter... it was a chocolte cake and it had NO sugar in it... the batter was so bitter. I quickly snatched the cake from the oven (it was in there for just a couple minutes) and mixed in some sugar. Saved it... phew!

One time I was adjusting a recipe... and I kept doubling the baking powder... crater cakes. I baked those flim flammin' layers 4 times before it hit me. (felt soooooooo dumb)

It happens to all of us.

Wesha Posted 15 Jan 2010 , 12:40am
post #4 of 11

I just tasted it. It does not taste to bad just not as sweet. Once I put my buttercream on it, I am thinking it will be fine since the icing is sweet. Would you rebake? It is for a 1 year old and some other kids. Maybe a few grownups?

Deb_ Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Deb_ Posted 15 Jan 2010 , 12:46am
post #5 of 11

Heck no don't rebake it....the mix has tons of sugar in it already, I never understood adding even more.

As long as it baked up ok, like you said once the buttercream is on it will be plenty sweet.

FromScratch Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
FromScratch Posted 15 Jan 2010 , 12:48am
post #6 of 11

nah... I'd leave it as is. Mine was a scratch recipe so forgetting the sugar was a HUGE problem, but starting with a mix you have some sugar already in there so wouldn't worry about it. icon_smile.gif

Wesha Posted 15 Jan 2010 , 1:04am
post #7 of 11

thanks guys. I did not want to have to rebake it. I will just crumb coat and decorate tomorrow.

kiwigal81 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kiwigal81 Posted 15 Jan 2010 , 1:07am
post #8 of 11

Never. I can absolutely say that I have never forgotten to add the sugar.

(shhh...But many times, the baking powder...and once, I forgot the cocoa in a chocolate cake...Yep.)

jammjenks Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jammjenks Posted 15 Jan 2010 , 1:37am
post #9 of 11

I wouldn't rebake either.

Just wanted to add that I would like to have a dollar for every time I forgot the sour cream in WASC. I have it out, mix it all up, and notice the batter is quite thick while I'm pouring in the pan. Then it hits me and I have to scrape it back in the bowl, mix in the sour cream, wash the pan, and try again.

When I make pound cake, there's a certain order to do the wet/dry ingredients. I get so mad at myself sometimes for forgetting which I JUST put in. You wouldn't think it would be so difficult! icon_razz.gif

cakesrock Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakesrock Posted 15 Jan 2010 , 4:15am
post #10 of 11

Once I forgot to ice the cake before putting on fondant because I got distracted by my husband. It was a disaster. I would just use lots of BC - it will be fine.... icon_smile.gif

JustToEatCake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
JustToEatCake Posted 15 Jan 2010 , 4:32am
post #11 of 11

Yep, kids eat cake for the icing anyway. Just make it a generous amount and they'll think you are the best "cake maker".

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%