Forgot The Sugar

Decorating By Wesha Updated 15 Jan 2010 , 4:32am by JustToEatCake

Wesha Posted 14 Jan 2010 , 11:56pm
post #1 of 11

Hey Guys,

I am making a birthday cake for a 1 year old and his little friends. I used the extender receipe and forgot to add the sugar icon_rolleyes.gif . My two sons were worrying me so bad that I completely forgot. Has this ever happened to any of you?

10 replies
SandiOh Posted 15 Jan 2010 , 12:21am
post #2 of 11

LOL! One time I forgot to put in half of the flour (don't ask....).

As my 5 year old says, "It happens..." icon_wink.gif

FromScratch Posted 15 Jan 2010 , 12:34am
post #3 of 11

Oh yes... it's a good thing I tasted the batter... it was a chocolte cake and it had NO sugar in it... the batter was so bitter. I quickly snatched the cake from the oven (it was in there for just a couple minutes) and mixed in some sugar. Saved it... phew!

One time I was adjusting a recipe... and I kept doubling the baking powder... crater cakes. I baked those flim flammin' layers 4 times before it hit me. (felt soooooooo dumb)

It happens to all of us.

Wesha Posted 15 Jan 2010 , 12:40am
post #4 of 11

I just tasted it. It does not taste to bad just not as sweet. Once I put my buttercream on it, I am thinking it will be fine since the icing is sweet. Would you rebake? It is for a 1 year old and some other kids. Maybe a few grownups?

Deb_ Posted 15 Jan 2010 , 12:46am
post #5 of 11

Heck no don't rebake it....the mix has tons of sugar in it already, I never understood adding even more.

As long as it baked up ok, like you said once the buttercream is on it will be plenty sweet.

FromScratch Posted 15 Jan 2010 , 12:48am
post #6 of 11

nah... I'd leave it as is. Mine was a scratch recipe so forgetting the sugar was a HUGE problem, but starting with a mix you have some sugar already in there so wouldn't worry about it. icon_smile.gif

Wesha Posted 15 Jan 2010 , 1:04am
post #7 of 11

thanks guys. I did not want to have to rebake it. I will just crumb coat and decorate tomorrow.

kiwigal81 Posted 15 Jan 2010 , 1:07am
post #8 of 11

Never. I can absolutely say that I have never forgotten to add the sugar.

(shhh...But many times, the baking powder...and once, I forgot the cocoa in a chocolate cake...Yep.)

jammjenks Posted 15 Jan 2010 , 1:37am
post #9 of 11

I wouldn't rebake either.

Just wanted to add that I would like to have a dollar for every time I forgot the sour cream in WASC. I have it out, mix it all up, and notice the batter is quite thick while I'm pouring in the pan. Then it hits me and I have to scrape it back in the bowl, mix in the sour cream, wash the pan, and try again.

When I make pound cake, there's a certain order to do the wet/dry ingredients. I get so mad at myself sometimes for forgetting which I JUST put in. You wouldn't think it would be so difficult! icon_razz.gif

cakesrock Posted 15 Jan 2010 , 4:15am
post #10 of 11

Once I forgot to ice the cake before putting on fondant because I got distracted by my husband. It was a disaster. I would just use lots of BC - it will be fine.... icon_smile.gif

JustToEatCake Posted 15 Jan 2010 , 4:32am
post #11 of 11

Yep, kids eat cake for the icing anyway. Just make it a generous amount and they'll think you are the best "cake maker".

Quote by @%username% on %date%