Quest. About Sams Club Buttercream

Decorating By CakesIMake Updated 26 Jan 2010 , 2:31pm by KHalstead

CakesIMake Posted 14 Jan 2010 , 10:52pm
post #1 of 9

I was going to buy their buttercream & I do know that they make a chocolate one too which I do like, but I didn't waNt to buy both. so I was wondering if there was any way to make the buttercream chocolate instead of having to buy it? What, if anything, would I have to add to it Hersheys coco powder?

8 replies
KHalstead Posted 15 Jan 2010 , 5:08pm
post #2 of 9

I use Sam's Buttercream and get orders for Choc. bc once or twice a year! So I don't ever buy the choc. everytime I go (every week or so) I ask if they have the little 5 lb. buckets of choc. day they'll get sick of me and figure out a way to carry it LOL

Anyhow, I add cocoa powder and hershey's choc. syrup as well (helps make it darker in color)

I would say that I add about 1/4 c. of cocoa powder for about 4 or 5 cups of icing and then maybe a 1/4 c. of the syrup too. I really just kinda dump it in there and mix if I want it darker I add more..then taste.

When it sits for about 10 min. it does get darker in color too.

Here are a couple cakes that I did this to

Mark-Mexicano Posted 15 Jan 2010 , 5:26pm
post #3 of 9

KHalstead, do you use sams buttercream on all your cakes? and have you ever used/tried the bettercream? how do they work/taste? THX

CakesIMake Posted 15 Jan 2010 , 5:46pm
post #4 of 9

Thank you so much KHalstead! I thought that maybe I could, but wasn't to sure. I know there have been a bunch of post about Sams buttercream but for some reason I can't find any of they..I think my comp is messed up or something =(

Mark the buttercream tasted really good..nice & smooth it crusts too! If you go to a Sams & ask they'll let you taste it! I've never tried the bettercream tho.

Mark-Mexicano Posted 15 Jan 2010 , 5:53pm
post #5 of 9

Thank you, I'm definitely going to try it!

KHalstead Posted 15 Jan 2010 , 7:29pm
post #6 of 9

I use Rich's Bettercreme as well, but I don't buy it prewhipped at Sam's I get it in liquid form at GFS..only because it takes up less storage room and I've heard that the bettercreme at Sam's is sometimes overwhipped, so I like to have control over how much I whip it.

The bettercreme tastes more like whipped cream, the But R Creme at Sam's is much sweeter and it crusts really beautifully.

raquel1 Posted 15 Jan 2010 , 7:45pm
post #7 of 9

Bettercreme is great as a filling (specially for cupcakes!) and it takes pretty much any flavoring method you can think of... And Sam's But-r-creme is a fabulous icing, crusts and smooths perfectly.

KristyCakes Posted 26 Jan 2010 , 1:31pm
post #8 of 9

I just bought the Sam's But-R-Creme for the first time. I think it tastes pretty good, but has anyone noticed that it is "gritty"? I noticed that my bucket says "0 Trans fat", so I figure that this is the problem. Anyone else see this? Thanks!

KHalstead Posted 26 Jan 2010 , 2:31pm
post #9 of 9

haven't noticed that!

Quote by @%username% on %date%