Fondant Help Please.....

Decorating By jjeana Updated 15 Jan 2010 , 2:29pm by UpAt2am

jjeana Posted 14 Jan 2010 , 10:39pm
post #1 of 16

I desperately need help with fondant,i am doing my first topsy turvy cake for my daughters sweet 16 on saturday, all of you on here have given me some great tips but i need help with fondant...i made my first batch of marshmallow fondant last night it turned out great, i wrapped in plastic wrap and put in ziplock bag, when i took it out today to try rolling it out,it is dry and just cracked i couldnt roll it, does any one know what i may have done wrong.....its Thursday and i need to get the fondant ready,did i make it to early? should i make it the same day i need to use it? and also can i make the cake the night before and assemble it, does it need to be refridgerated? thanks in advance, everyone on here has been great!!!! icon_sad.gif

15 replies
GenGen Posted 14 Jan 2010 , 10:44pm
post #2 of 16

did you add All the powdered sugar? if you did and can make a new batch i suggest so. they usually recommend not adding all the powdered sugar called for it on the recipe. in fact one of the recipes i use even says not to add all of it..

if you can't make a new batch then try microwaving a bit of it for a few seconds at a time till its plyable, then work some crisco in to it.

i prefer to use my mmf as soon as it cools enough to work with rather then let it sit over night to rest. i've had better luck with it then but i work with it either way still.

all4cake Posted 14 Jan 2010 , 10:51pm
post #3 of 16

I would grease the counter and my hands and knead it. Mine will harden up...almost brick like...kneading it definitely makes it more pliable.

kiwigal81 Posted 14 Jan 2010 , 11:00pm
post #4 of 16

My first lot did that too after a couple of days. It took me half an hour to make it pliable. I broke it into five pieces as it was too big to do all at once and worked in a little vege fat (you guys use crisco, I had something else), maybe half a teaspoon, and water as needed, about 1ts first knead, then half a teaspoon at a time till it was smooth and pliable, softened right up like when I first made it.

AverageMom Posted 14 Jan 2010 , 11:03pm
post #5 of 16

In the future, smear Crisco all over the ball of fondant before you wrap it up. I'm not sure just how dry it, and if you'll be able to rescue this batch.

FlourPots Posted 14 Jan 2010 , 11:04pm
post #6 of 16

Mine gets too firm, but I don't like kneading for a long time, so I microwave...and it restores it back to pliability.

all4cake Posted 14 Jan 2010 , 11:07pm
post #7 of 16

If it's managed to form a crust, rather than shave off the dried stuff, grease the outside, wrap it back up and cover it with a warm wet kitchen towel...

jjeana Posted 15 Jan 2010 , 12:56am
post #8 of 16

thanks so much for all the advice, should i wait until saturday to work with it? or would be still be soft and tastey if i covered my cakes the night before? do i need to refridgerate the cake after i cover it or just wrap it and leave it out? I sure hope i dont mess up her cake...you guys are great....thanks icon_smile.gif

all4cake Posted 15 Jan 2010 , 1:29am
post #9 of 16

You should be able to cover the cake with fondant and leave it out(depending on your filling(s) of course). The outside will get somewhat firm but the area that is in contact with the buttercream coating should remain soft. It can be refrigerated...consider the decorations and colorings if you opt to though...dimensional decorations may go limp when brought out to room temp, bleeding of colors may occur...this would happen if you have a high enough level of humidity in your fridge and if it gets cold enough in there...bringing it to room temperature may cause condensation to develop on the surface...There are many variables to be considered in determining when you finish your cake.

As for me, I'd fill and crumbcoat tonight and leave it at room temp to settle(if filling doesn't require refrigeration). Tomorrow evening, apply another thin layer of buttercream and cover with fondant and decorate.

jjeana Posted 15 Jan 2010 , 2:26am
post #10 of 16

Thanks for the advice I will be using only bc filling so as far as that goes i know it will not need to be refridgerated, i was just worried that the fondant may harden too much if i cover it tomorrow.... instead of saturday morning,i am just afraid of something going wrong and not having time to recover....i just want it to be special... thumbs_up.gif thanks again for any help

all4cake Posted 15 Jan 2010 , 2:46am
post #11 of 16

I hope you share pics of it!

jjeana Posted 15 Jan 2010 , 2:56am
post #12 of 16

i will post pics unless it ends up on the floor....LoL...i sure hope it at least comes out half way decent...thanks everyone....

sadsmile Posted 15 Jan 2010 , 3:08am
post #13 of 16

When making MMF it should still be soft and sticky. I loaded up to as much of 1/3 cup of Crisco on mine and it worked great. Like AverageMom and all4cake said grease the outside of it -and then wrap in cling wrap and then into a zip lock to keep it from drying out.
It should be the consistency of kneading bread before you put it away- rather doughy and sticky.
If firms up while it sits and completely incorporates it's self. So it will be stiffer the next day and takes warming up and kneading to get the elasticity to work right before rolling it out.
When rolling it out be sure to lift and move it around in between rolls or it will anchor itself onto your table. You have to figure if you work best with Crisco, Corn Starch or Powdered sugar when rolling.

Look on youtube for a video from Planet cake on how to cover a cake with fondant. thumbs_up.gif

UpAt2am Posted 15 Jan 2010 , 3:11am
post #14 of 16

hi! i believe i'm the one that gave you the mmf recipe the other day! i just wanted to make sure you added the powedered sugar a little at a time? if so, it still sounds like you may have added a little to much, which is fine. do what the others said, and just microwave it for a few seconds...maybe 4 and then you'll be able to knead it with no problems!

also, if my memory serves me correctly, you are using the fondant for decorations only, not to cover the cake. in that case, don't worry too much about it...even if it's not the perfect consistency, you're just using it in small amounts, so it will be fine! icon_smile.gif

good luck...i know how special you are wanting this to be! if we lived close to each other, i'd come right over and help you icon_smile.gif

jjeana Posted 15 Jan 2010 , 1:25pm
post #15 of 16

thanks upat2am, you are wonderful. my daughter really wants the fondant covering the cake so i am going to give it a try even if i have to make a new batch, do you use crisco or light syrup to roll out your fondant? which works best? this is friday here and tomorrow is the big day,should i assemble the cake tonight? if so should i wrap in plastic wrap? thanks so much and oh how i wish you were close by.... icon_biggrin.gif

UpAt2am Posted 15 Jan 2010 , 2:29pm
post #16 of 16

you can roll your fondant out on a number of things...cornstarch, powdered sugar or you can grease up a piece of vinyl (like the kind that you'd find on an office desktop) and roll it out on that. i prefer to roll mine out on powdered sugar, so i can roll it around my pvc pipe/rolling pin/etc. and cover the cake that way. just make sure you have enough powdered sugar so it won't stick to the counter top/vinyl/granite/etc.

did you watch the youtube video i posted about the topsy turvy cake? if so, then you saw how jannell coverd her cakes and then had to prick holes where she dug out the well so the fondant could stretch. if the fondant tears a bit there...don't worry! it will be covered by the top tier!

if i were you, i'd do just like the video says, carve while they're slighted frozen/very chilled and crumbcoat. stick in freezer for 15 minutes and then pull out to put your buttercream on. wait for the buttercream to crust and then take a Viva paper towel and smooth out any creases/bumps/etc. (you can find a youtube video on this as well if you type in viva cake). once you have smooth cakes, stick back in freezer for as long as you need to (no need to cover w/ saran wrap or anything).

i pull mine out of the freezer when i start to roll out the fondant so the buttercream can thaw just a tiny bit (the fondant sticks better this way)...you could pull out frozen and spritz a tiny bit of water on them or piping gel too. then cover them with the fondant (make sure you have more fondant on the taller side! once they're fondanted you can leave them on your counter or put them back in the fridge (i fridege mine b/c i don't have any humidity issues with cakes sweating). then to apply your fondant accents, just take a mixture of corn syrup and water and that b/c your glue! don't need much!

pm me if you have any more questions!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%