Silver Coloring For Fondant Or Molding Chocolate

Decorating By Sonji Updated 14 Jan 2010 , 10:14pm by Texas_Rose

Sonji Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Sonji Posted 14 Jan 2010 , 8:47pm
post #1 of 5

Was wondering if anyone knows how I would get a shiny silver color? I am making a cake with a hammer and nails and would like them to be a bit shiny.. I'm not finding anything but the luster dust in silver? Thanks in advance. ohh.. I was planning on using either molding chocolate or fondant to make them!

4 replies
Texas_Rose Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Texas_Rose Posted 14 Jan 2010 , 9:23pm
post #2 of 5

Luster dust is what most people use. Start with gray fondant and then either mix the dust with vodka and paint it on, or put it on with a dry brush.

This was done that way:

You can also paint it with airbrush color. I did this monogram that way, starting with white fondant:

The airbrush color looks more like metal than Wilton's silver dust does, but I haven't tried any of the better brands of silver dust...I have a feeling they would work a lot better than wilton's silver luster dust.

Sonji Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Sonji Posted 14 Jan 2010 , 9:41pm
post #3 of 5

Thank you soo much that was very helpful!! It will work great for what I'm doin!! icon_biggrin.gif

sadsmile Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sadsmile Posted 14 Jan 2010 , 9:55pm
post #4 of 5

Yup Texas my dear you must get some better dusts! I used silver highlighter on the S on the Super-girl cake in my photos. It looks chrome like. I just made some modeling choc and am going to try the luster on it in day or two.

Texas_Rose Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Texas_Rose Posted 14 Jan 2010 , 10:14pm
post #5 of 5
Quote:
Originally Posted by sadsmile

Yup Texas my dear you must get some better dusts!

I promised DH I wouldn't buy any more cake things until we're in our new house icon_cry.gif I don't even have any tylose right now. I asked my sister to buy some luster dust for me for Christmas and she did but she got cantaloupe and copper luster dusts and green disco dust, not silver and gold and pearl like I was wishing for.

I was pretty happy with the way the silver airbrush color comes out though. It was on a cake with a silver filigree basket holding the topper, and sitting on a silver plateau and the monogram looked about as silver as the metal pieces, so it wasn't bad.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%