How Long Does A Cake Take To ... ???

Decorating By Mikel79 Updated 15 Jan 2010 , 1:57pm by Mikel79

Mikel79 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Mikel79 Posted 14 Jan 2010 , 8:43pm
post #1 of 8

DRY ??????????

I use Sharon Zambito's Buttercream Techniques. After I unwrap my cakes from the food safe plastic bag I let it sit out to dry off the "wetness". After 1 hour of sitting out, it is stil wet????

Is this normal??

7 replies
indydebi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
indydebi Posted 14 Jan 2010 , 10:35pm
post #2 of 8

You're intentionally trying to dry out your cake? icon_confused.gif

I remove my cakes from the freezer; leave the saran on; let sit for 10 minutes or so; fill and crumb coat; let sit overnight or at least 4-6 hours; then do final the final icing. Never worried about a wet cake.

CakeMommyTX Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CakeMommyTX Posted 14 Jan 2010 , 10:45pm
post #3 of 8

Did you wrap it while it was still hot and trap condensation inside and now it's wet and sticky?
If so I don't think it will dry out.

Mikel79 Posted 15 Jan 2010 , 12:44pm
post #4 of 8

Hi All!

Of course I am not intentionally trying to dry my cake out. I am trying to make sure that the outside of the cake is dry enough so that my BC icing will stick to it. After unwrapping my cakes they are usually very wet. I feel that I get a lot of air bubbles because I ice my cakes still somewhat wet. Keep in mind I let my cakes sit out for about an hour and they are still wet.

No, I do not wrap while they are still warm. I let cool on wracks for about 3 hours. Then I level and fill cakes. After this I then wrap the cakes to let settle overnight.

I appreciate your help...

=)

leah_s Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
leah_s Posted 15 Jan 2010 , 1:02pm
post #5 of 8

Confused also. I do much like Indy. Those three hours of cooling are in the pan?

Mikel79 Posted 15 Jan 2010 , 1:21pm
post #6 of 8

I let the cakes cool in pan for 10 minutes only. Then I flip the cakes out and let cool on cake/cookie rack for about 3 hours.

Thank you...

KHalstead Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
KHalstead Posted 15 Jan 2010 , 1:45pm
post #7 of 8

I know what you're talking about, I usually just push some paper towels onto the cake to dry off any excess. Obviousy you don't want to keep your bc from sticking to the cake.

Have you ever tasted one of these cakes that seems WET on the outside, they're always the most moist and delicious ones!! lol

Mikel79 Posted 15 Jan 2010 , 1:57pm
post #8 of 8

Oh yea!! They are deeeeelious. Sooo moist. I get compliments all the time. But I am getting tired of the large blow outs and my icing sliding off.... I am thinking that it is because the sides of my cake are still wet when the BC is applied....

=)

Thanks

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%