Mmf Bow

Decorating By strawberrygirl Updated 14 Jan 2010 , 7:22pm by cupcakemkr

strawberrygirl Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
strawberrygirl Posted 14 Jan 2010 , 6:44pm
post #1 of 6

I use marshmallow fondant. I need to make a bow that is fairly sturdy. I tried to use gum paste that last time I needed one and the colors faded quickly. Is there anything I can add to my mmf or knead into it to make my bow sturdier?

5 replies
anamado Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
anamado Posted 14 Jan 2010 , 6:59pm
post #2 of 6

When I make MMF i don't add fat nor corn syrup. I make the bows and let them dry for 1 or 2 days. If the weather is not humid it works fine to me.

TexasSugar Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
TexasSugar Posted 14 Jan 2010 , 7:02pm
post #3 of 6

What color did you do before?

Texas_Rose Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Texas_Rose Posted 14 Jan 2010 , 7:08pm
post #4 of 6

You can add tylose to your MMF to make it sturdier. I used to make bows with MMF but I've switched to gumpaste because I prefer the thinner look and also because of the faster drying time.

Pink, purple and red are prone to fading whether it's fondant or gumpaste. You can paint the bow loops or the finished bow with icing color mixed with vodka to give it a more vibrant color that won't fade, but that will also make it a little bit shiny.

strawberrygirl Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
strawberrygirl Posted 14 Jan 2010 , 7:14pm
post #5 of 6

thank you so much. I will try the tylose. And yes it was pink and purple that faded. They were brightly colored when I left to go to the store and when I got back 2 hours later, they were so faded and couldn't tell which had been the pink and which had been purple. My blue ones did fine.

cupcakemkr Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cupcakemkr Posted 14 Jan 2010 , 7:22pm
post #6 of 6

Pink, Purple and red fade even more so when they are in sunlight, keep them in a darker place until ready to present

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%