Panicking A Bit...

Decorating By Tellis12 Updated 15 Jan 2010 , 5:41pm by TexasSugar

Tellis12 Posted 14 Jan 2010 , 5:41pm
post #1 of 13

I'm supposed to teach my very first Wilton class tonight. I'm a bit nervous to begin with but I just found out that I have 9 in my class! I hate public speaking but when I though it was just going to be 6 I was thinking I'd be able to fake myself out but I'm not so sure now. I'm just concerned I'll forget something or be a bad teacher. I've been over all the materials several times but there is so much to remember!

12 replies
costumeczar Posted 14 Jan 2010 , 5:48pm
post #2 of 13

Don't'll be surprised how easy it is once you get started. As long as you have a class that doesn't sit there like a bunch of corpses it won't feel awkward except right at first. As soon as they start asking questions it will be fine.

Mike1394 Posted 14 Jan 2010 , 6:02pm
post #3 of 13
Originally Posted by Tellis12

I'm just concerned I'll forget something or be a bad teacher. I've been over all the materials several times but there is so much to remember!

Remember your the expert. They don't know if it's wrong, or not. You'll be fine. Enjoy, and have fun.

dandelion Posted 14 Jan 2010 , 6:16pm
post #4 of 13

Wilton classes are so visual and hands on...just impress them with your awesome skills (which I know you have because I just looked through your photos icon_razz.gif) You'll do great!

TexasSugar Posted 14 Jan 2010 , 6:24pm
post #5 of 13

If you forget something then they won't know it. Just follow along with the book and you should cover everything. You can also make yourself a cheat sheet. I'll often do a quick recap at the end of some things, so that way if I forgot something I can add it in the second time.

If you just totally leave something out don't panic. Make yourself a note and cover it the next week. Also encourage them to read over the lesson again at home so that way everything is covered as well.

Good luck and Relax! You will do fine!

metria Posted 14 Jan 2010 , 6:25pm
post #6 of 13

Just remember: you love decorating! Make a cheat sheet of the main points you want to hit in order and keep it near you. It's ok if you forget something! Write it in your notebook once you remember. You can always tell them next class.

TexasSugar Posted 14 Jan 2010 , 6:27pm
post #7 of 13

I'll be thinking about you sending you good vibes while I'm doing my class tonight!

metria Posted 14 Jan 2010 , 6:32pm
post #8 of 13

wow i just repeated what TexasSugar said. 2 out of 2 texans agree! you'll do great!

BoozeBabe Posted 15 Jan 2010 , 5:04am
post #9 of 13

I was just reading these posts to see if I could find a class in my area and VOILA! there you are. I live in Milford, OH and want to take my first class. I have already dabbled in fondant and know that I need lessons to figure out some techniques. Where are you doing classes if I might ask? Maybe I will sign up for the next session.

I have shopped at Cincy cake on Galbraith and know there are lessons there. Or if you could give me a hint as to where to go. Thanks in advance. LOL Dont let my screen name scare you. I'll explain that later.

GenGen Posted 15 Jan 2010 , 5:30am
post #10 of 13

no sweat. i taught my first wilton course last summer and added on a few classes (it was a 4h group) to cover a few things we missed- few extra things and to help kids who missed classes to make them up. its my next course that i'm nervous about. course 2 about a third of it i've never used before lol..

TexasSugar Posted 15 Jan 2010 , 5:15pm
post #11 of 13

So how did it go??

Tellis12 Posted 15 Jan 2010 , 5:24pm
post #12 of 13

Thanks for the support! It didn't end up being as big as I thought. There were only 6 people, which was a nice number. There were a couple of things I forgot to do (like add the meringue powder to the icing! I never do that at home) but I think it went alright. I'm glad to have it under my belt. It will go even better next time. I really appreciate all of you who responded.

Boozebabe, I'm teaching at the Michael's in the Hyde Park Plaza. I think next month I will be doing course 1 on Saturday mornings from 9-11.

TexasSugar Posted 15 Jan 2010 , 5:41pm
post #13 of 13

I'm glad it went well for you!

I know when talking we can forget what step we are on. When I am making the icing I have everything lined up infront of me in the order I use it. As I use it I set it to the side, that way I can look down and see what is next or what got left. I have a thing of popcorn salt, that while I don't us in class (since I carry a bottle of water) it reminds me to tell them about adding salt to the water. When I look down and see it there last I'm like yep, time for that.

It really does get easier to do and I'm glad you started off with a smaller number. I like 4-8 students personally.

Quote by @%username% on %date%