Can I Use My Properly Wrapped Mmf That I Have...

Decorating By madras650 Updated 15 Jan 2010 , 6:41pm by Texas_Rose

madras650 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
madras650 Posted 14 Jan 2010 , 5:25pm
post #1 of 14

Can I use my properly wrapped and stored MMF that I have had since Halloween? Is it still good?

13 replies
Stefy Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Stefy Posted 14 Jan 2010 , 5:39pm
post #2 of 14

I seriously would not use MMF that is almost three months old, especially if it is a paying customer. The expectation of a customer (irregardless of paying or not) is that you use fresh ingredients - 3 month old fondant is not fresh in my books.

jewels710 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jewels710 Posted 14 Jan 2010 , 6:29pm
post #3 of 14

Taste it.
How does it taste to you? Would you eat it?
If it is only marshmallows, xxxsugar and water it should not be "bad", especially if it was properly stored. That is why I say taste it. It should taste like you just made it.
If you have ANY doubt. Toss it and make new. Ingreds for that are rather cheap.

Considering manufacture date to store shelf...I am sure store bought fondant sits just as long.

Texas_Rose Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Texas_Rose Posted 14 Jan 2010 , 6:33pm
post #4 of 14

I've noticed that old MMF will get a slight sour taste and smell. I'm not sure what causes it. But personally I won't use it when it's more than two weeks old, unless it's been frozen.

You can use it to cover a cake board with though.

mandirombold Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mandirombold Posted 15 Jan 2010 , 4:29am
post #5 of 14

I will only use MMF to cover a cake that has been made no more than 1 week before, but i will use it for 4 weeks for decorations that really are going to be eatten like maybe a number or figure. But fresh fodant only to cover a cake. but realy i don't think it goes bad i do think the texture and quality does change with age.

madras650 Posted 15 Jan 2010 , 1:48pm
post #6 of 14
Quote:
Originally Posted by mandirombold

I will only use MMF to cover a cake that has been made no more than 1 week before, but i will use it for 4 weeks for decorations that really are going to be eatten like maybe a number or figure. But fresh fodant only to cover a cake. but realy i don't think it goes bad i do think the texture and quality does change with age.

Thanks, I should have expanded my question: I am using the older fondant for the decorations, not to cover the whole cake. Thanks!

CakeMommyTX Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CakeMommyTX Posted 15 Jan 2010 , 2:07pm
post #7 of 14

I will use some of my left over colors a week or two after they are made for little stuff but for covering the cake I make fresh.

Stefy Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Stefy Posted 15 Jan 2010 , 5:00pm
post #8 of 14

I will use older fondant (meaning one, two weeks MAX) on decorations as well but Halloween?? That's just down right gross!!

madras650 Posted 15 Jan 2010 , 5:55pm
post #9 of 14
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stefy

I will use older fondant (meaning one, two weeks MAX) on decorations as well but Halloween?? That's just down right gross!!

It was in the freezer

millermom Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
millermom Posted 15 Jan 2010 , 6:14pm
post #10 of 14

My kids (especially my 12 yr old son) love to play with my old fondant icon_smile.gif I am a WMI, so I sometimes give him the plain frosted cake after the first class and some old fondant to play with. Hasn't killed us yet, but I wouldn't use it for a paying customer.

anamado Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
anamado Posted 15 Jan 2010 , 6:14pm
post #11 of 14

Mff is made with not easily perishable ingredients. It would do no health harm.
I make mine on the standing mixer, never touch it with my hands. So no important germs would colonize it...
When you buy your marshmallows they could be a year old in the bag, and you'd still use them.
Bacteria will not grow on sugar.
I don't put shortening in my mmf, but it would still be OK because it's something that lasts almost for ever too. The same goes to corn syrup...
The only problem with mmf and time, is that the consistency of the mmf changes a bit.
I would use it for accents for sure, and to cover the cake I would use it if the consistency was OK.
When you buy already made fondant, how much does it lasts?

We have to understand about the longevity of the ingredients to answer that question.

And madras650, your cakes are amazing!!!

madras650 Posted 15 Jan 2010 , 6:28pm
post #12 of 14
Quote:
Originally Posted by anamado

Mff is made with not easily perishable ingredients. It would do no health harm.
I make mine on the standing mixer, never touch it with my hands. So no important germs would colonize it...
When you buy your marshmallows they could be a year old in the bag, and you'd still use them.
Bacteria will not grow on sugar.
I don't put shortening in my mmf, but it would still be OK because it's something that lasts almost for ever too. The same goes to corn syrup...
The only problem with mmf and time, is that the consistency of the mmf changes a bit.
I would use it for accents for sure, and to cover the cake I would use it if the consistency was OK.
When you buy already made fondant, how much does it lasts?

We have to understand about the longevity of the ingredients to answer that question.

And madras650, your cakes are amazing!!!

Hey...Thanks a lot! icon_biggrin.gif You rock!

TexasSugar Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
TexasSugar Posted 15 Jan 2010 , 6:33pm
post #13 of 14
Quote:
Originally Posted by madras650

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stefy

It was in the freezer

I don't know the shelf life of frozen, but freezing will preserve it more than leaving it out on the cabinet.

Texas_Rose Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Texas_Rose Posted 15 Jan 2010 , 6:41pm
post #14 of 14
Quote:
Originally Posted by madras650

It was in the freezer

If it was frozen, then sure, it's fine to use.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%