Am I Crazy To Want To Cover This With Fondant?

Decorating By kathik Updated 14 Jan 2010 , 9:06pm by kathik

kathik Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kathik Posted 14 Jan 2010 , 5:20pm
post #1 of 8

I am planning a cake for 3 weeks from now. It is a 3d carved mountain 16 tall and 18 inches at it's widest. I was planning to cover it with fondant so I could paint the different shadings, etc, but is it crazy for me to do this? My daughter is planning to help me, but we are concerned about having to roll out, lift, place and smooth such a huge piece of fondant.

Here is a sketch of the mountain shape.

Thanks,
Kathi
LL

7 replies
artscallion Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
artscallion Posted 14 Jan 2010 , 5:39pm
post #2 of 8

Yes, you are crazy. But that's what we do. Last night, my honey walked in and saw me working with a pair of tweezers in each hand. "You're insane. You know that, right?" Yup...and proud of it.

It will be a chore. But the good thing is that you can fix and work anything easily because it's not a definite shape like a circle where folks would immediately say, "ooh, that crease doesn't belong there."

Go for it! Can't wait to see the results!

Great design, BTW

sadsmile Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sadsmile Posted 14 Jan 2010 , 5:40pm
post #3 of 8

I would use MMF for that as it is more elastic and will hold together better then MFF. I would then do another layer for the ice caps to add more definition.

Ruth0209 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Ruth0209 Posted 14 Jan 2010 , 5:44pm
post #4 of 8

Do it in sections. You'll have valleys where you can tuck the seams into. You don't need to do it all in one big piece.

I use rice krispy treats to make mountains. You can make the RKTs all lumpy the way you want the mtn., cover it, then put it onto the cake if you want. That can make it a bit easier to work with. I have a couple of pics of mtns. in my pictures.

marzipandoll Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
marzipandoll Posted 14 Jan 2010 , 6:03pm
post #5 of 8

It's gonna be ok because it doesn't have to be smooth! DO IT!!! Don't forget to share the results! icon_wink.gif

Texas_Rose Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Texas_Rose Posted 14 Jan 2010 , 6:10pm
post #6 of 8
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruth0209

Do it in sections. You'll have valleys where you can tuck the seams into. You don't need to do it all in one big piece.

Exactly what I was going to suggest icon_biggrin.gif

TexasSugar Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
TexasSugar Posted 14 Jan 2010 , 6:59pm
post #7 of 8

Count me in on the sections group.

kathik Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kathik Posted 14 Jan 2010 , 9:06pm
post #8 of 8

Okay, so that was a major "DUH" moments for me! Why didn't I think about sections??? icon_redface.gif

I always knew you guys were brilliant!

sadsmile, what is MFF? I'm using Satin Ice because I am traveling to make this cake and don't want to mess with making marshmallow fondant. Plus everyone I know likes Satin Ice. Also, this is Mt. Sinai so no ice caps!

Ruth, I have your snowboarder cake bookmarked as a helpful reference for this cake. How did you attach the RKT to the cake- frosting? What kind of frosting did you use?

Thanks again all,
Kathi

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%