Gumpaste Or Mexican Paste?

Decorating By MissCakeCrazy Updated 16 Jan 2010 , 8:50pm by Bubsylooloos

MissCakeCrazy Posted 14 Jan 2010 , 4:13pm
post #1 of 4

I am confused about what products I can do with what. If I were to do lettering, should I use gumpaste (flower paste in the UK) or mexican paste. I know that you usually do modelling with mexican paste but does that include cutting out letters. I have only flower paste at home (gumpaste). Is that suitable? What is the difference?

3 replies
TexasSugar Posted 14 Jan 2010 , 4:21pm
post #2 of 4

What is Mexican paste? I have heard the term and know it is simalar to gumpaste, but what I mean is it like fondant that has had a gum added to it? Or is it just another recipe for a different type of gumpaste?

I don't see why you can't do the lettering in gumpaste.

MissCakeCrazy Posted 14 Jan 2010 , 5:27pm
post #3 of 4

mexican paste is used for modelling characters etc while gumpaste is used for flowers where you can roll them very thin.

Bubsylooloos Posted 16 Jan 2010 , 8:50pm
post #4 of 4

Do you have to mix Mexican Paste with fondant or something or use it as it is? It doesn't taste very nice.

Quote by @%username% on %date%