Damasking - Stencil Or Edible Image?

Decorating By j_arney Updated 15 Jan 2010 , 12:11am by just_for_fun

j_arney Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
j_arney Posted 14 Jan 2010 , 2:42pm
post #1 of 4

I'm still fairly new to decorating, so I'm still hesitant about my skills. I offered to make a friend's wedding cake because she's the 1st of 11 kids and doesn't have a huge wedding budget. She says she wants something simple. Then says she wants the damask cake that is behind Buddy on the Cake Boss. The one he made for a magazine shoot. That's not simple!! So I'm wondering this...would it be easier to stencil the damask, or use an edible image? Would the edible image look bad? Meaning, obviously not iced? Any thoughts? Thanks!!!

3 replies
Sagebrush Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Sagebrush Posted 14 Jan 2010 , 11:47pm
post #2 of 4

I would go with stenciling. I think you'll end up with a more professional looking result, and with edible images, the colors are often not quite right... they sometimes tend to have a greenish cast to them.

- Leisel

LaBellaFlor Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
LaBellaFlor Posted 14 Jan 2010 , 11:55pm
post #3 of 4

I personally would go with the stenciling as well. If you don't feel comfortale with stenciling, you can always get some damask cutters and cut out the shapes from fondant and place them on the cake.

just_for_fun Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
just_for_fun Posted 15 Jan 2010 , 12:11am
post #4 of 4

Stenciling is quite easy. It doesn't take much practice to "get" it. You will have to feel how much icing you have to put on your spatula at a time, how to get it smooth without moving the stencil, how to lift the stencil cleanly. Also, you should clean and thoroughly dry the stencil just about every time you move it to get a clean, sharp edge. I'm in no way a pro and I did it on cookies. After about 4-5 cookies it was perfect.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%