Using Baking Even Strips... ???

Decorating By Mikel79 Updated 15 Jan 2010 , 9:29am by zdebssweetsj

Mikel79 Posted 14 Jan 2010 , 2:11pm
post #1 of 9

I have always used the strips on all my cakes. My question is about the color of the cake sides. I normally use Yellow Cake Recipes. The sides of my cakes are always the same color as the cake batter....yellow. I am having a lot of issues with blow outs and icing falling off my cakes. I was thinking that maybe the reason is because my sides of the cakes are not crusting to the golden brown????? I have seen other cakes come out the golden color top and sides.

Is my thinking way off on this???? Any thoughts, tips????

Thanks,
=)

8 replies
zdebssweetsj Posted 14 Jan 2010 , 2:38pm
post #2 of 9

I've always used baking strips also, I used to have a lot of trouble with blow outs, Just realized its been a while since I've had a problem. Don't know if it's the weather or change in technique. After I bought Sharon Zambito's DVD's I've started trimming the outsides of my cake to get that smooth look, I wonder if that keeps the air from being trapped? Have to think on that! Now of course I've jinks myself, the next 10 will have honking huge bowouts.COL

TexasSugar Posted 14 Jan 2010 , 4:18pm
post #3 of 9

Sometimes my cake sides come out really moist, espeically when I wrap them in plastic wrap. So before I use them I let them sit out on the area for 15-20 mins to help dry that up a little.

If the icing isn't sticking to the cake you may not be pressing it hard enough against the cake or it may be to thick.

Do you let your cakes sit after filling them before you ice them?

jhay Posted 14 Jan 2010 , 4:37pm
post #4 of 9

I agree, letting cakes sit after I ice them has been a huge help for me. Especially if I'm covering them in fondant. I really don't get the big bubbles in my icing anymore and if I do, it's before I've decorated so it doesn't ruin the design.

Mikel79 Posted 14 Jan 2010 , 4:39pm
post #5 of 9

Thank you for replying!

I let my cakes sit out overnight (wrapped) after filling. I ice my cakes according to the Techniques shown in Sharon Zambito's DVD's. I will let my cakes sit out for about 45 minutes to 1 hours before icing. However, they are still somewhat "wet".

TexasSugar ......Can you please share your Yellow Cake receipe with me. I have also tried Sharon Zambito's method in cutting/trimming the sides of my cakes to help. However, my cakes are soooooo wet that it just crumbs all over the place. The icing will not even stay on for 5 seconds when I have tried it that way......

Thanks =)

TexasSugar Posted 14 Jan 2010 , 5:14pm
post #6 of 9

I use cake mixes so I can't help you with recipes.

JustToEatCake Posted 14 Jan 2010 , 11:23pm
post #7 of 9
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mikel79

Thank you for replying!

I let my cakes sit out overnight (wrapped) after filling. I ice my cakes according to the Techniques shown in Sharon Zambito's DVD's. I will let my cakes sit out for about 45 minutes to 1 hours before icing. However, they are still somewhat "wet".

TexasSugar ......Can you please share your Yellow Cake receipe with me. I have also tried Sharon Zambito's method in cutting/trimming the sides of my cakes to help. However, my cakes are soooooo wet that it just crumbs all over the place. The icing will not even stay on for 5 seconds when I have tried it that way......

Thanks =)

Maybe try the WASC recipe listed here on CC. I have found that with cake mixes that use oil mainly for the fat then my cakes did the blow out thing but when I used the WASC recipe that for choc only uses sour cream and for the yellow (I don't use white) it is only a tiny bit of oil and with the extra cup of flower it's even less per the ratio. The reason I am saying this is I've never had a blowout at all until just recently when for class I decided just to make a plain cake mix and WOW there it was the next morning. I was like "what the heck is that"!?

LaBellaFlor Posted 15 Jan 2010 , 12:08am
post #8 of 9
Quote:
Originally Posted by TexasSugar

I use cake mixes so I can't help you with recipes.

Totally off topic, but TexasSugar is that picture of you in that avatar, cause you are just as cute as can be.

zdebssweetsj Posted 15 Jan 2010 , 9:29am
post #9 of 9

I use Sharon Zambito's recipe with pudding in the mix and it has less oil also, taste great and carves wonderful.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%