Gumpaste Question - Adhesive?

Decorating By jlh Updated 14 Jan 2010 , 7:57am by jlh

jlh Posted 14 Jan 2010 , 6:22am
post #1 of 5

I'm using gumpaste for the first time. I usually use fondant, but this is rushed, and needs to dry asap. I bought the pre-made at Michaels. It says "affix with piping gel". I have the Cake Mate squeeze tubes of writing gel. Would that work? I assume plain water won't work (like it does with fondant). Thanks!

4 replies
SpringFlour Posted 14 Jan 2010 , 6:38am
post #2 of 5

Pinch off a pea-sized piece of gumpaste and dissolve it in about 1/4 cup or so of water (it'll take a little while to can help it out by breaking the gumpaste into tiny pieces). Use this as your glue. If it isn't quite sticky enough, just add a bit more gumpaste to your water.

Chippi Posted 14 Jan 2010 , 6:40am
post #3 of 5

If you have some tylose use 1/4 teas. to 1/4 c of water it makes awesome glue and saves forever in a jar and lid icon_smile.gif

Texas_Rose Posted 14 Jan 2010 , 7:01am
post #4 of 5

Since it's not going to be eaten (assuming it's not since it's gumpaste) you can use an egg white as glue. Just beat it up with a spoon so it's not a big blob and then it will work well. You could also use meringue powder mixed with water.

I've never glued gumpaste with piping gel. I think that might be the wilton way of making you buy piping gel icon_biggrin.gif

The tylose and water works the best, that Chippi suggested, but I'm guessing you don't have tylose handy right now.

jlh Posted 14 Jan 2010 , 7:57am
post #5 of 5

Thanks for all the great ideas. I really do appreciate it.

Quote by @%username% on %date%