Silver Dragees In Ca

Decorating By LilaUK Updated 25 Jan 2010 , 9:01am by LilaUK

LilaUK Posted 14 Jan 2010 , 4:59am
post #1 of 5

I need a couple of silver dragees for the wheels on a car cake. Can anyone help me out. I know silver and gold are banned in California so I've bought some white ones and now I don't know how to make them silver.

What is the best type of pearl dust and what will give me a metallic kind of silver?

It said just roll in pearl dust but there are so many types of pearl dust and realy just roll them? Not dip them in something to make the dust adhere?

Can anyone give me a little advice pls?

Thanks

4 replies
JanH Posted 14 Jan 2010 , 7:21am
post #2 of 5

Everything you ever wanted to know about the different dusts:
(And how to use them.)

http://cakecentral.com/cake-decorating-ftopict-54059.html

HTH

cakeladyatLA Posted 14 Jan 2010 , 8:03am
post #3 of 5

Actually, I don't know how they do this, but now you can find silver and gold dragges in any Michael's, a friend gave me some and we live in Los Angeles.
HTH

ceshell Posted 14 Jan 2010 , 9:55am
post #4 of 5

Cool! I haven't seen them in Michael's yet, but I do come across them in cake shops from time to time. You know, they are not actually banned in CA, and it's only silver (not gold) that is the problem. In a nutshell, a single CA lawyer believes that the metal content is too high in silver dragees esp. since silver never leaves your system, so he made it his personal mission to sue any company that sold them to CA, leaving it to those sellers to prove (in court) that dragees are not harmful. Of course rather than pony up hundreds of thousands of dollars for lawyers and scientists to "prove" that dragees are not harmful, companies just stopped selling them here.

Here's are two articles about it http://articles.latimes.com/2005/dec/18/magazine/tm-dragee51 and http://www.sfgate.com/cgi-bin/article.cgi?file=/chronicle/archive/2003/12/23/MNGS03SUEM1.DTL

This all started nearly 7 years ago. I wonder if some sort of progress has been made, and that is why we are seeing them in some stores again? I remember someone saying that one cake supplier in Nevada (who was selling to CA) went ahead and accepted the lawsuit and won. I don't know if he proved they were safe, or if the above lawyer simply was unable to prove that they were UNsafe.

Anyway keep your eyes peeled, you never know where you'll find them here! thumbs_up.gif

Meanwhile you can use silver luster dust, as you may have found out from JanH's link, but they won't be nearly as shiny as real dragees. If that doesn't matter and you only need a few, that might be your easiest solution anyway.

LilaUK Posted 25 Jan 2010 , 9:01am
post #5 of 5

Thank you!! I got the luster dust and they aren't shiny icon_sad.gif I wanted them to look like lugnuts on the tires of a lightning mcqueen and they are just so-so. I haven't seen them in Michaels at all.. I checked a couple after reading the post.

Also sorry for my late response, my kids have been sick!!

Thank you all. You made my life way easier!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%