How To Make Eyes For Sculptured Animals

Decorating By dawn64 Updated 17 Jan 2010 , 8:49pm by nesweetcake

dawn64 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
dawn64 Posted 14 Jan 2010 , 3:40am
post #1 of 7

I am looking for any information,tutorials, dvd or books that I can learn how to make more realic looking eyes in my animal sculpted cakes

6 replies
Renaejrk Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Renaejrk Posted 14 Jan 2010 , 4:18am
post #2 of 7

hmm, not sure about that one - have you checked youtube? There may be threads on here about it, but the search function stinks. If you use another search engine and add cake central on the end of it, it is better.

ljdills Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ljdills Posted 14 Jan 2010 , 4:23am
post #3 of 7

I can't remember where I read this but someone had used piping gel over the fondant eyes to make them look shiny and more realistic.

Loucinda Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Loucinda Posted 14 Jan 2010 , 2:56pm
post #4 of 7

Make the whites of the eyes, then make the iris whatever color you want, and add another teeny tiny (itsy tiny!) bit of white and put that on the colored part (kind of on the top and to the side - this makes a little "gleam") - also, don't center the colored part, put them off center and make sure you make both of the eyes look the same direction! (unless you want the cross eyed look, of course!) You can then add some tiny eye lids, and lashes too. I took a class from Bronwen Weber on making faces, she taught us quite a bit on making the eyes.

auntiewho Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
auntiewho Posted 14 Jan 2010 , 3:23pm
post #5 of 7

what might be helpful is a book on scuplty (SP) clay... thay have them on people...just a thought....i haven't looked my self but my sister used to sculpt with it...just another resource

farmersdaughter4 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
farmersdaughter4 Posted 15 Jan 2010 , 3:45am
post #6 of 7

I recently sculpted an almond paste squirrel - I did a rather unusual way of making the eyes - made indention on head and inserted a tiny round ball of uncooked tapioca (tapioca comes in several sizes) - just painted the tapioca black (can be painted prior to insertion into sockets). I didn't add an iris, etc. because of the small size; but one thing I did to make the eyes come alive and "shine" was apply a tiny drop of Sally Hansen Hard As Nails clear nail polish - the squirrel came "alive". If the piece is not to be eaten, this really works. There is also a recipe for edible varnish (search web) that also makes for realistic bright eyes.

nesweetcake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
nesweetcake Posted 17 Jan 2010 , 8:49pm
post #7 of 7

For a non edible version...... I go to the asile at Hobby Lobby that has the doll and bear making supplies. Use the Eyes from there and even the noses. If anything else, would make for a great example to have to model from. I also use confectioners glaze to make things shinny. Also you can steam fondant, that has been brushed with a little luster dust too!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%