I Want To Run This By You Guys First....

Decorating By Jayde Updated 1 Feb 2010 , 11:53pm by Jayde

Jayde Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Jayde Posted 14 Jan 2010 , 2:03am
post #1 of 61

Ok, so I have to make a horrid Yo Gabba Gabba cake. icon_rolleyes.gif I tried to get out of it, but no such luck. I dont do the whole copyright infringement thing, so the mom bought little figures to go on the cake.

I want to make the guys hat and then a pair of GP black glasses. BUT I am debating on whether I want to use a star tip to make the fuzz on his hat or the grass tip??

I have seen examples of both, but I dont know which will look better, any thoughts?

Here is a picture of the dude with his hat on. Horrid I know....
LL

60 replies
sadsmile Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sadsmile Posted 14 Jan 2010 , 2:12am
post #2 of 61

Grass tip. thumbs_up.gif But if you make anything other then a generically same colored cake for the figures to go on doesn't that still infringe on the show? Surely someone here must know. We don't want you risking trouble. icon_wink.gif

Jayde Posted 14 Jan 2010 , 2:15am
post #3 of 61

I think so too the more I look at it. I think the star tip, no matter how small I use it is going to look spiky and not fuzzy.

I just wanted a different eye, Thanks Sadsmile!

Teekakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Teekakes Posted 14 Jan 2010 , 2:15am
post #4 of 61

Definitely the grass tip icon_smile.gif

Jayde Posted 14 Jan 2010 , 7:14pm
post #5 of 61

I am not too terribly worried about a fuzzy lump of orange goo, which is what it is gonna end up looking like, and a pair of black rimmed glasses.

Yes you can tell that it is from Yo Gabba Gabba once you put them together, but I think its a stretch and definitely a far cry from making a cake to look specifically like one of the characters.

I would hope that the creators of Yo Gabba Gabba havent cornered the orange fuzzy hat market or the black rimmed glasses market. I would put it on par with copying a purse out of cake, and then just leaving off the logo. Right on the fuzzy orange line icon_smile.gifthumbs_up.gif

snocilla Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
snocilla Posted 14 Jan 2010 , 7:33pm
post #6 of 61

You poor thing! I HATE THAT SHOW!!!!! yet my daughter likes it....

snocilla Posted 14 Jan 2010 , 7:35pm
post #7 of 61

...And yes, I think I would use the grass tip too.

sadsmile Posted 14 Jan 2010 , 7:35pm
post #8 of 61

Hey have you seen this...

http://www.cakecentral.com/modules.php?name=gallery&file=displayimage&pid=1556600

I would do it with a stiffer iging so it would stand up more.

Jayde Posted 14 Jan 2010 , 7:43pm
post #9 of 61

No I hadnt, Thanks Sadsmile!

I am not going to do his head or face, just the hat. It is going to be pretty big because it is going to have to feed like 40 people. Then I am going to set the GP glasses next to the hat.

The customer gave me the figures to put on the cake, but I dont want to put them on top of it. I think that would look goofy, maybe standing on the cake board in fronT?? I dunno yet.

She also called back to ask about a small smash cake, so I need to come up with something for a 4-incher that ties in with the rest.

Oh and I planned on making it super stiff so that way it stands up all over. At least if I cant make a cake that I want to, its going to look darn realistic.

_Jamie_ Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
_Jamie_ Posted 14 Jan 2010 , 7:43pm
post #10 of 61

Here's the best one I've ever seen. One of the cakers who got me passionate about this whole business! http://www.flickr.com/photos/chocolatemoosecakes/3455795257/

snocilla Posted 14 Jan 2010 , 7:46pm
post #11 of 61

Why not make a round stacked cake with trees and such to put the figures on and make a smaller version of Lance's hat for the smash cake? Or a round cake with a medium sized hat being the top tier?

snocilla Posted 14 Jan 2010 , 7:49pm
post #12 of 61

Jamie, that's a much better version of what I was picturing in my mind!

_Jamie_ Posted 14 Jan 2010 , 7:51pm
post #13 of 61

Oh yeah....look at the rest of her stuff. She is not a mortal being. icon_biggrin.gif

snocilla Posted 14 Jan 2010 , 7:56pm
post #14 of 61

Wow! She is pretty awesome!

sadsmile Posted 14 Jan 2010 , 8:11pm
post #15 of 61

Wow WOW wowwie Zowwie! Thanks Jaime. So thats what you want to make when you grow up.

Hey this would make an awesome smash cake.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/chocolatemoosecakes/3449257204/

FromScratch Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
FromScratch Posted 14 Jan 2010 , 8:13pm
post #16 of 61

One of my all time faves too Jamie... She ROCKS the hizzouse.

You coudl do a tiny version of her Party In My Tummy cake for the smash cake. It's toooooooo cute for words.

sadsmile Posted 14 Jan 2010 , 8:17pm
post #17 of 61

Scratch you and I... great minds always thinking a like.

FromScratch Posted 14 Jan 2010 , 9:03pm
post #18 of 61

Indeed crazy granny pig avatar which I love so much... indeed... I was thinking the same thing. When I clicked on the link I was all "watch it be the party in my tummy one"... LOL

sadsmile Posted 14 Jan 2010 , 9:32pm
post #19 of 61

granny? I have four kids but they are still young.

OMG I am going nuts on Flicker now looking at cakes and finding great inspiration Jamie do you see what you started!!! They post all these perfect creations! OOO la la!!!!

_Jamie_ Posted 14 Jan 2010 , 9:53pm
post #20 of 61

icon_biggrin.gif! Now find Debbie Does Cake, Tonitaly, ummmmm, there's more...many more!

FromScratch Posted 14 Jan 2010 , 9:54pm
post #21 of 61

Oh no... not you... the pig... she's wearing pearls so she makes me think of a granny. Not you are a granny. Oh gosh... how terrible of me to not clarify that. You must have been all "oh no she didn't!!" icon_lol.gificon_redface.gif

I don't know your name or I'd call you that. icon_biggrin.gif

FromScratch Posted 14 Jan 2010 , 9:58pm
post #22 of 61

Nati's Cakes... Rebecca Sutterby... cakeladycakes... franjmc... Pastrychik...

sooooo many good cakes on Fickr...

sadsmile Posted 14 Jan 2010 , 9:59pm
post #23 of 61

ROFLMPO! he he. I can take a joke even you did dish it out. icon_wink.gif Though I have earned some grey... at my extremely young kidlish age. Who says your maturity can't surpass your age. icon_lol.gificon_lol.gif

snocilla Posted 14 Jan 2010 , 10:01pm
post #24 of 61

roflmPo? panties?

sadsmile Posted 14 Jan 2010 , 10:01pm
post #25 of 61

I am new to Flicker easy does it. The searchy thing there doesn't work right. Are they in your favs Jamie?

_Jamie_ Posted 14 Jan 2010 , 10:05pm
post #26 of 61

I think most of them are...oh wait. No, but in contacts mostly....I'll send ya links. Yeah---the names Jeanne said! Nati and Fran...holy cow. Planet cake style MASTERS. Well, Fran is Planet Cake. I would pay them if they would let me work there.

FromScratch Posted 14 Jan 2010 , 10:07pm
post #27 of 61

You can switch it to search for people... click the search button, and then on teh page that pops up, above where you type what you are searching for you can click "people" and it will fix that. icon_smile.gif

I am 33 and have plenty-o-gray hair... and I only have 2 kiddos... icon_wink.gif

_Jamie_ Posted 14 Jan 2010 , 10:08pm
post #28 of 61
Quote:
Originally Posted by FromScratch

Oh no... not you... the pig... she's wearing pearls so she makes me think of a granny. Not you are a granny. Oh gosh... how terrible of me to not clarify that. You must have been all "oh no she didn't!!" icon_lol.gificon_redface.gif

I don't know your name or I'd call you that. icon_biggrin.gif

icon_lol.gificon_lol.gificon_lol.gificon_lol.gif She's good for a joke...that piggy does make me smile. And she is a bit grannyish. I am imagining, further down the frame...the granny pig is wearing a long pleated sensible skirt, with white no name sneakers. Socks that don't match, and possibly underneath it all.....great big pig sized parachute panties. icon_lol.gificon_lol.gificon_lol.gif And she's rocking all that with a fierce "in your face attitude"! icon_lol.gificon_lol.gificon_lol.gif

sadsmile Posted 14 Jan 2010 , 10:09pm
post #29 of 61

P p p pearls! LOL Panties!!!!

FromScratch Posted 14 Jan 2010 , 10:12pm
post #30 of 61

OMG Jamie... and I thought I was the only one who though crap like that. I'm sure "ultra fierce granny pig" would tell you where you coudl buttah your biscuits... icon_wink.gificon_lol.gif

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%