Cricut, Wishblade: Sugarveil Used With Electronic Cutters

Decorating By emilyg Updated 25 Jan 2010 , 5:11am by annette14

StaceyCakes75 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
StaceyCakes75 Posted 22 Jan 2010 , 4:58am
post #31 of 42

This is just incredible!! One really quick question. Can you use any coloring for color like Americolor gel? I have a wedding cake with a large red bow. Does the amount of color added effect the outcome.

Kellycreations Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Kellycreations Posted 22 Jan 2010 , 3:53pm
post #32 of 42
Quote:
Originally Posted by snowshoe1

Ok - so I watched the video over the weekend and did my first cuts today. It works so much nicer than gumpaste! Love it - thanks for giving us this idea. Now I need to design a cake, cookies, etc... to use designs on.

I spread out three sheets of sugarveil, was a bit impatient and the first one was too tacky so it just gunked up. Let the second one rest long enough and it cut perfectly! No more gumpaste in the Cricut here!

I want to give this a try today. Can you please share what settings you used for the blade depth, pressure and speed.
Thank you

emilyg Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
emilyg Posted 22 Jan 2010 , 11:37pm
post #33 of 42

Hi guys,

Zoraya, let the SugarVeil 'set' until it is no longer tacky (see my post above). Also there are ways you can speed up setting here: http://www.sugarveil.com/confectionery_icing/icing_instructions.htm
Be sure the entire sheet is absolutely dry to the touch.

Stacey, for any dark or very intense color (red is a good example), use powdered color mixed with SugarVeil powder before adding water. Otherwise, any liquid or gel food color is fine.

HTH - emilyg

snowshoe1 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
snowshoe1 Posted 23 Jan 2010 , 3:28pm
post #34 of 42
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kellycreations

Quote:
Originally Posted by snowshoe1

Ok - so I watched the video over the weekend and did my first cuts today. It works so much nicer than gumpaste! Love it - thanks for giving us this idea. Now I need to design a cake, cookies, etc... to use designs on.

I spread out three sheets of sugarveil, was a bit impatient and the first one was too tacky so it just gunked up. Let the second one rest long enough and it cut perfectly! No more gumpaste in the Cricut here!

I want to give this a try today. Can you please share what settings you used for the blade depth, pressure and speed.
Thank you

I have the personal Cricut and used speed of 3; pressure of 3. I used the deep cut blade at 4. Worked fine. Just be sure to make sure it is flexible and dry enough before you give it a go. I placed the sugarveil sheet directly on a lightly greased mat that I had already removed the sticky stuff from (same as you would for gumpaste).

Omicake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Omicake Posted 23 Jan 2010 , 3:39pm
post #35 of 42

Snowshoe, so you were able to transfer the sugar veil to another mat without tearing it.I'm getting interested in buying one of these machines.Which one is yours?
Thanks for all the information given.

zoraya Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
zoraya Posted 23 Jan 2010 , 3:39pm
post #36 of 42

OMG! Can I just say this is awesome!!! I just ran it thru my cricut and the results are fabulous!!!!!

Thanks for your help Emily, definitely will be placing an order today. Will I still be able to get the free mat?

greengyrl26 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
greengyrl26 Posted 23 Jan 2010 , 3:50pm
post #37 of 42

yes, everyone that is having success..PLEASE share which machine you're using and what settings worked best for you! Thanks so much!!!

crazyladybaker Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
crazyladybaker Posted 23 Jan 2010 , 4:19pm
post #38 of 42

Hi Emily icon_smile.gif We talked via email about my order. Thanks so much for all of your help. I just placed my order and can't wait to get it.
Although...I have no idea how to work the Cricut. It was a gift 2 years ago and it has never been out of the box.
I had originally wanted to make cupcake wrappers with it but just never figured that out.
Thanks again!
Sherry

emilyg Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
emilyg Posted 23 Jan 2010 , 4:27pm
post #39 of 42

Hi Sherry,

Sign up for the http://www.cricut.com message board to learn all about the Cricut. Nice group of people, really busy message board. They are Cricut experts but need so much to have help with cake, so they will welcome you there for sure (and I've sent them all here to sign up on CC, too). There are a few threads going - 'SugarVeil and Electronic Cutters' is one, I think 'Scrapcaking' or something is another - just search all their boards with "SugarVeil" and you get about three pages or so.

Cupcake wrappers with SugarVeil sounds so smart! Be sure and share pics with us - emilyg

snowshoe1 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
snowshoe1 Posted 23 Jan 2010 , 8:40pm
post #40 of 42
Quote:
Originally Posted by greengyrl26

yes, everyone that is having success..PLEASE share which machine you're using and what settings worked best for you! Thanks so much!!!

I use the personal cricut but wish I had bought the E. I set the speed on 3, pressure on 3, and use the deep-cut blade set on 4. I spread the sugarveil on greased parchment (would prefer to have one of the mats in the video) and transfer to a lightly greased cricut mat (removed the tacky stuff with a palette knife and crisco). The details cut out fine once the sugarveil was set.

Regarding the post about cupcake wrappers, I do have an image that can be traced into SCAL. If anyone wants it please email me and I'll send. I've only used the image with cardstock thus far. I use this as my base image and use a graphics program to modify when I want something fancier (e.g. lace designs, cutouts, etc....).

Pariscakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Pariscakes Posted 24 Jan 2010 , 10:49pm
post #41 of 42

I am interested in trying my Cricut for cakescrapping. Just got an email today from Memory Miser craft supplier announcing a new cricut just for cake decorating. Comes with special mats and blades. Wish I had waited to buy mine. I just got it this Christmas. I am interested in the cupcake wrapper design if you can send it. I would appreciate it. icon_smile.gif[/img]

annette14 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
annette14 Posted 25 Jan 2010 , 5:11am
post #42 of 42
Quote:
Originally Posted by zoraya

Quote:
Originally Posted by annette14

Thanks so much for posting this! I just watched the video, got inspired and ordered the starter kit online. (impulsive much? icon_smile.gif. Can't wait to give it a try on my cricut!

LOL - youre not alone! I always say I have an addictive personality and can't help myself in buying stuff. I just have to try it! Did you get free shipping on the starter kit?

Zoraya~ I actually ordered 2 kits to give one away to my mom, who's in another state, as a gift. So, I was able to get in on the free shipping. icon_smile.gif Still waiting for the product and excited to try it out!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%