Wow. That Is Really Blue!

Decorating By Win Updated 13 Jan 2010 , 8:37pm by Win

Win Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Win Posted 13 Jan 2010 , 8:07pm
post #1 of 5

I just opened my "first ever" tub of Satin Ice Blue/Vanilla. It is closer to Peacock blue than anything else I could describe. Will I be able to combine it with white to tone it down to a much more subdued tone? I was hoping to shoot for more of the baby/powder blue that so many use along with brown accents... has anyone ever started with this to achieve that? Or, should I just stick to white and use gel color to get the shade I need?

4 replies
brincess_b Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
brincess_b Posted 13 Jan 2010 , 8:13pm
post #2 of 5

i use different brands (in the uk), but yes, i just dilute it down with white to get the right shade.
best use of money ever, buying the precoloured stuff!
xx

jammjenks Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jammjenks Posted 13 Jan 2010 , 8:17pm
post #3 of 5

I'd use mostly white and just add a small bit of the SI blue.

DianeLM Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
DianeLM Posted 13 Jan 2010 , 8:27pm
post #4 of 5

I love that about the pre-colored Satin Ice. They are able to achieve a much richer color than I can justify spending my time on.

Unless I'm making a bold cake, those colors last a good long time because you only need to mix a tiny bit into your white to get a light shade.

Oh, and BTW, the color you see when you open the tub is actually darker than the true color. Once you start kneading it, it lightens up a little bit.

Win Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Win Posted 13 Jan 2010 , 8:37pm
post #5 of 5
Quote:
Originally Posted by DianeLM

I love that about the pre-colored . They are able to achieve a much richer color than I can justify spending my time on.

Unless I'm making a bold cake, those colors last a good long time because you only need to mix a tiny bit into your white to get a light shade.

Oh, and BTW, the color you see when you open the tub is actually darker than the true color. Once you start kneading it, it lightens up a little bit.

Can you hear my big sigh of relief? Thanks, each of you, for your reassurances. Diane, thanks for the additional info regarding the fact that it will lighten upon kneading... I have used the black Satin Ice before, but this blue really threw me for a loop.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%