I Need Candy Clay Advice.

Decorating By alene Updated 16 Jan 2010 , 12:56am by sadsmile

alene Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
alene Posted 13 Jan 2010 , 7:55pm
post #1 of 6

I was thinking about covering a cake with a thin layer of chocolate candy clay. I've used candy clay in the past but never to cover a cake. Will it get real hard after sitting awhile? I'm just not sure if I should do this or go with chocolate fondant. Any advice would be most helpful.

5 replies
sadsmile Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sadsmile Posted 13 Jan 2010 , 8:10pm
post #2 of 6

I have just spent time researching the very same thing. Some recipes use corn syrup(with or without water or extra PS or glucose) some use Marshmallow fluff. Some say to add in tyolse or gum paste for hotter environments.
I am just going to have to sneak in a Jennifer Dontz DVD into my budget very soon to try her chocolate leather/pearl clay.

alene Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
alene Posted 13 Jan 2010 , 8:50pm
post #3 of 6

Thanks sadsmile. Its all so confusing to me. I guess unless I find out something different soon, Ill just have to go with the chocolate fondant. At least I know what to expect from it.

sadsmile Posted 13 Jan 2010 , 8:53pm
post #4 of 6

Yeah I made some white chocolate candy clay with just corn syrup and it is oily and breaks like dry fondant when I try to knead it or form it. I must be missing something. I might try milking out some of the oil and adding some PS and glycerin to it.

AnitaK Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
AnitaK Posted 16 Jan 2010 , 12:51am
post #5 of 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by sadsmile

I have just spent time researching the very same thing. Some recipes use corn syrup(with or without water or extra PS or glucose) some use Marshmallow fluff. Some say to add in tyolse or gum paste for hotter environments.
I am just going to have to sneak in a Jennifer Dontz DVD into my budget very soon to try her chocolate leather/pearl clay.

If you used candy melts, do not melt them to hot - they should be warm before adding the syrup. If the melts are hot, allow them to cool a bit. If you add the syrup to hot melts, the oil will separate but should knead O.K.

sadsmile Posted 16 Jan 2010 , 12:56am
post #6 of 6

Thanks AnitaK i read to be extra careful not to burn the choc. So I did it on the defrost cycle in my micro and let them sit on the counter to cool before adding the syrup and mixing together. I was too impatient and tried working with the stuff after just a few hours. It needed to sit over night... then it was magic and smooth and workable.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%