Overall Pricing Evaluation???'s

Business By korkyo Updated 20 Jan 2010 , 9:16pm by risingflour

korkyo Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
korkyo Posted 13 Jan 2010 , 7:18pm
post #1 of 16

I've done some serious evaluation of my last year and was not exactly happy with my profit margins.

If you don't want to share your exact pricing that's fine, I understand. Maybe just how do you determine the difference for pricing. I've always tried to avoid nickel and diming people with the "that's extra" bit. But the extras are eating up my time and money.

I have 3.50 for BC and 4.50 for fondant. (about the going rate here) Then what about fondant accents? Split the price and add a bit more to the BC price. I'm also beginning to think that all fondant with pearls or stripes and such should be more than the 4.50. Maybe I need a 3 tier pricing guide for fondant accents vs full fondant.

Then what about gum paste flowers? This one is always such a hard thing to price. DO you have a set chart that you base it on for XX.00 per flower or just eye ball it and guess. icon_smile.gif If you look at the picture attached what would you charge ... ball-park for that bunch of flowers? I charged 150.00. Took me about 12-15 hours. Am I close?

I appreciate any advice. I don't want to be doing all this work for free. icon_smile.gif
LL

15 replies
DeeDelightful Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
DeeDelightful Posted 13 Jan 2010 , 7:40pm
post #2 of 16

Are you saying just the flowers were $150? or the whole cake and flowers? just eyeballing, not knowing specific tier sizes, that's a $500 cake, but i think you could charge $6 per serving or more for that cake with all those beautiful flowers.

cakesdivine Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakesdivine Posted 13 Jan 2010 , 7:41pm
post #3 of 16

I sent you a PM. Basic Fondant level covers BC w/ fondant accents, the cake in your photo is a Level 3 Fondant cake in my book due to all the flowers.

tashistation Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tashistation Posted 13 Jan 2010 , 7:56pm
post #4 of 16

Yes do you mean $150 surcharge for the flowers and leaves? That I could understand. I would say that is a $500 cake + the price of the gumpaste decorations, so about $650-700 total. How many servings was it?

LaBellaFlor Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
LaBellaFlor Posted 13 Jan 2010 , 8:12pm
post #5 of 16

When I say my basic buttercream starts at $3.50, that means a very basic design. My fondantr starts at $4. When you start to add things like pearls, the price does go up some.

jenmat Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jenmat Posted 13 Jan 2010 , 8:19pm
post #6 of 16

not an expert, but my flowers start per stem. I give them a per stem quote, then an estimate on how many flowers, and they tell ME how many they want. That way no whining.

LaBellaFlor Posted 13 Jan 2010 , 8:27pm
post #7 of 16

icon_surprised.gif O.M.G. I just read the part of $150 for the cake you did! Please, please, please, tell me that was for the flowers. Could you please tell me how many servings that cake was.

Deb_ Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Deb_ Posted 13 Jan 2010 , 8:35pm
post #8 of 16

I think she means the $150 was for the flowers.

I too have a base per serving price, but for extras like that cake pictured, depending on the difficulty and amount of flowers there will definitely be an extra charge.

I would be around the $150 price for those flowers too.

Any gumpaste flowers or fondant figures/pearls are an extra charge for me based on the amount needed.

I try to estimate how long it will take me to make them and determine my price from there.

I think you're right in the ballpark with that quote.

LaBellaFlor Posted 13 Jan 2010 , 8:38pm
post #9 of 16

I think your pricing looks right.

korkyo Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
korkyo Posted 14 Jan 2010 , 3:21am
post #10 of 16

Ha ha, wow.... you all got ahead of me.

The cake is a 14 x 10 x 6 serves 103 by Earlene's chart that I use. X 4.50 for fondant =463.00 for hte cake AND 125.00 more for the flowers.

I've seen some in my area that are doing fondant for 6.50. That would be nice.

Cakesdevine, thanks for the chart. I'm thinking about setting up something similar. I think I have to start taking more of my time into consideration. I come from the retail world where it was nothing to do a 3 tier in about an hour and it did look decent. Now it takes me 2-3 hours so I can make it perfect.

Jentreu: how do you distinguish between flowers that take more time if you just use a per stem price? Is that different for different flowers?

howsweet Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
howsweet Posted 18 Jan 2010 , 4:10am
post #11 of 16

I can't imagine that cake going for less than $715

_Jamie_ Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
_Jamie_ Posted 18 Jan 2010 , 4:14am
post #12 of 16

At least $700. I mean straight nothing but fondant is $5.00 right off the bat...anything else raises it. Gumpaste flowers.....a lot more!

ApplegumKitchen Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ApplegumKitchen Posted 18 Jan 2010 , 4:38am
post #13 of 16

That would be $1,500 - $2,000 in Sydney Australia icon_biggrin.gif

There's a LOT of flowers on that cake..... $150 would be lucky to get you 2-3 gardenias and 'few filler flowers" HERE!

Mensch Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Mensch Posted 18 Jan 2010 , 7:10am
post #14 of 16

For those who have no idea, 1 USD = 1.08 AUD

leah_s Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
leah_s Posted 18 Jan 2010 , 2:33pm
post #15 of 16

First, stop using Earlene's chart. Seriously. All it does is cause you to give away free cake. ALWAYS use the Wilton chart for determining pricing. A 6/10/14 serves 130. Same cake, more $.

risingflour Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
risingflour Posted 20 Jan 2010 , 9:16pm
post #16 of 16
Quote:
Originally Posted by leah_s

First, stop using Earlene's chart. Seriously. All it does is cause you to give away free cake. ALWAYS use the Wilton chart for determining pricing. A 6/10/14 serves 130. Same cake, more $.

I agree...unless you are the one cutting these larger slices, the slices are going to be more along the lines of the Wilton chart.

I was just pricing a cake this size today with flowers...the bride wants cascading flowers and I'm still trying to figure out how many that would be. Maybe I'll try what the other poster said and give her the per stem price and what I think it will take and she can decide from there.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%