Martha Stewart Cake....details?

Decorating By jen1977 Updated 13 Jan 2010 , 9:11pm by 2SchnauzerLady

jen1977 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jen1977 Posted 13 Jan 2010 , 6:11pm
post #1 of 32

Do you think a template was used for the piping on the white tiers of this cake? I have a bride wanting this pattern (which she called really simple, LOL) on every other tier of her cake. It looks like some type of template was used since the pattern seems to repeat and match. Does anyone know where I can find out or get the pattern for it? Thanks!
http://www.marthastewartweddings.com/photogallery/50-great-cakes

31 replies
_Jamie_ Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
_Jamie_ Posted 13 Jan 2010 , 6:21pm
post #2 of 32

Not sure, but if you get stuck.....
Google tiara templates (I know, you're not looking for a tiara, but you'll see what I mean). I did this, and came up with some that I printed out, and tweaked here and there to make a pattern similar to that. Looked at it while I was piping and freehanded it from there onto the BC.

_Jamie_ Posted 13 Jan 2010 , 6:26pm
post #3 of 32

Here's a blow up, black and whited...you can resize and make a pin prick...one more coming.
LL

jhay Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jhay Posted 13 Jan 2010 , 6:27pm
post #4 of 32

I woud imagine that she used a template. If you're not confident in your free handing abilities, you can draw it on wax paper, turn it over and scribe (punch little holes) on to your fondant, then trace the lines with your icing. Be sure not to make your holes too big, you'll want to cover them with the icing lines and they look pretty delicate.

There are several tierra designs on this website in the galleries. If you look in the Misc. gallery you'll find a few.

_Jamie_ Posted 13 Jan 2010 , 6:32pm
post #5 of 32

here's another, as bright as I could get it for definition. You can tweak it in Picnik even further. Trace onto clear overhead projector paper, and shine the image on your cake, freehand it. Sorry, if you don't want these pics...but I was bored. icon_biggrin.gif
LL

FierceConfections Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
yummy Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
yummy Posted 13 Jan 2010 , 6:34pm
post #7 of 32

They have sets of cake stencils with the damask and fancy scroll designs. I've seen them in my cake supply store; check online stores like GSA and Countrykitchensweetart. I'm sure others will know exactly where to direct you.

_Jamie_ Posted 13 Jan 2010 , 6:35pm
post #8 of 32

Awwww....hey, lookie there! Coolness. That really looked like something custom...neat stencil though!

FierceConfections Posted 13 Jan 2010 , 6:40pm
post #9 of 32
Quote:
Originally Posted by _Jamie_

Awwww....hey, lookie there! Coolness. That really looked like something custom...neat stencil though!

Ain't nothing new under the sun anymore, sister. icon_rolleyes.gif

_Jamie_ Posted 13 Jan 2010 , 6:45pm
post #10 of 32
Quote:
Originally Posted by FierceConfections

Quote:
Originally Posted by _Jamie_

Ain't nothing new under the sun anymore, sister. icon_rolleyes.gif

True... icon_sad.gif

sadsmile Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sadsmile Posted 13 Jan 2010 , 6:49pm
post #11 of 32

Definitely hand piped and inspired by those stencils. It's close but different.

grams Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
grams Posted 13 Jan 2010 , 6:50pm
post #12 of 32

Yes indeed it is a stencil. If you don't care if you have the food grade stencil, go to their WOW bargain stencils and you can get the set for alot cheaper. I think it is on page 9. www.wowbargainstencils.com

grams Posted 13 Jan 2010 , 6:57pm
post #13 of 32

Yup, just checked and it is page 9 of designer seconds Princess Lace Set.

jen1977 Posted 13 Jan 2010 , 6:58pm
post #14 of 32
Quote:

They are very simalar, but pricey too! Thanks!

jen1977 Posted 13 Jan 2010 , 6:59pm
post #15 of 32
Quote:
Originally Posted by grams

Yes indeed it is a stencil. If you don't care if you have the food grade stencil, go to their WOW bargain stencils and you can get the set for alot cheaper. I think it is on page 9. www.wowbargainstencils.com

I must be slow today, because I can't find any page numbers under the bargain stencils to look at!

jen1977 Posted 13 Jan 2010 , 7:02pm
post #16 of 32

Thanks Jamie! It will be chocolate brown piped on ivory, so I was hoping to not have to pie it since there isn't much room for mistakes! Now to decide how much more to charge her for it! It'll only be on every other tier, and the others will be quilted fondant with a sugar bead at the intersections.

grams Posted 13 Jan 2010 , 7:12pm
post #17 of 32

go to www.wowbargainstencils.com/designerseconds and scroll to the bottom of the first page and there it has the rest listed.[/i]

FromScratch Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
FromScratch Posted 13 Jan 2010 , 7:13pm
post #18 of 32

http://weddingcakesbyjimsmeal.com/pic4b.jpg

That cake is not stenciled. If you look closely they are similar, but not the same. Plus it looks different than a stenciled cake looks. If you really look at the piping you can see where it differs from section to section. That wouldn't happen with a stencil.

Either the stencil is modeled after the cake or Jim Smeal used the stencil as inspiration.

sadsmile Posted 13 Jan 2010 , 7:20pm
post #19 of 32

Yup I said it on the first page... it's not stenciled it's hand piped.. close but not exact.

FromScratch Posted 13 Jan 2010 , 7:26pm
post #20 of 32

Yeah... I just saw that. Glad I'm not the only one who think so... LOL.

That being said... I'd totally use the stencils. WAY easier. I would charge heavily for that much hand piping if you go that route.

FierceConfections Posted 13 Jan 2010 , 7:27pm
post #21 of 32

It looks like the decorator placed the stencils on the cake, used a pin to transfer the pattern, then piped over it. Yeah?

sadsmile Posted 13 Jan 2010 , 7:37pm
post #22 of 32

No I don't think they actually used the stencil because the design is notably different in places, fewer swirls shorter..etc. Look closely at the stencils and the cake side by side and compare.

FromScratch Posted 13 Jan 2010 , 7:52pm
post #23 of 32

I'm with sadsmile... the patterns are completely different in many ways, but very similar so thatif you were to use the stencil... it would look like the same cake from a distance and the bride would NEVER know.

I don't know if it's Jim Smeal himself, but someone on his team is one hell of a piper. There are many piped cakes on his site that are very intricate. I is jealous...

thecakeprincess Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
thecakeprincess Posted 13 Jan 2010 , 8:16pm
post #24 of 32

Beautiful piping!

sadsmile Posted 13 Jan 2010 , 8:28pm
post #25 of 32

oh look they did a lavender and white one just like it. The tiara design is even simpler.

http://weddingcakesbyjimsmeal.com/pic4c.jpg

_Jamie_ Posted 13 Jan 2010 , 8:31pm
post #26 of 32

This is just like when I was looking for info on this cake: http://media.photobucket.com/image/truli%20confectionary/NviousEvents/1cake.jpg

Everyone swore up and down it was stenciled. Nope. Not stenciled. Cut and pieced together by hand. I don't remember if the creator of this cake copied the design from the stencil set, or vice versa....but either way, I knew there was no way it could have been stenciled. It's just too perfect!

cakesweetiecake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakesweetiecake Posted 13 Jan 2010 , 8:38pm
post #27 of 32
Quote:
Originally Posted by thecakeprincess

Beautiful piping!

I agree! Lovely cake!

sadsmile Posted 13 Jan 2010 , 8:45pm
post #28 of 32

Yup just call us the C Double D's...

Cake Design Detectives

icon_lol.gificon_lol.gificon_lol.gif

Loucinda Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Loucinda Posted 13 Jan 2010 , 8:46pm
post #29 of 32

Could this design possibly be made by putting the design down on a template with royal icing - then let it dry, and gently put that against the cake - it would leave the impression of what you want, then you could pipe over the impression? (the royal would be dry and hard enough to leave an impression to pipe over??)

catlharper Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
catlharper Posted 13 Jan 2010 , 8:57pm
post #30 of 32

LOL..."simple" design...gotta love it! And I think putting the stencil up, using the pinprick method and pipe over that would help tons to make this handpiping more "simple" to achieve.

LOL..."simple"...LOL gonna be laughing over that one all day...

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%