Need Ideas For This One!

Decorating By mrswendel Updated 13 Jan 2010 , 4:58pm by matthewkyrankelly

mrswendel Posted 13 Jan 2010 , 2:01pm
post #1 of 8

Hi all,

I am in need of some idea help on this one! I need to do a 3 tier cake for a 50th birthday for a man. His wife has asked if I could base the design on his love of birds and birdhouses....and hockey.

I cannot think of how to put these items together on one cake and have it look cohesive.

Any suggestions?

7 replies
SecretAgentCakeBaker Posted 13 Jan 2010 , 2:09pm
post #2 of 8

Birds playing hockey, with the birdhouses at each end, instead of a goal net?

Sounds tough, hopefully someone has a great idea for you! icon_smile.gif

jonahsmom Posted 13 Jan 2010 , 2:14pm
post #3 of 8

Decorate each tier bird and birdhouse-y (maybe with hockey sticks leaning against the house?) and then make a topper that is a bird in full hockey gear...somehow....I don't know. Made sense in my head. icon_redface.gif

SecretAgentCakeBaker Posted 13 Jan 2010 , 2:17pm
post #4 of 8

Maybe the hockey rink can be a nest or birdbath.

I'll ask my friend for some ideas. She plays hockey and does bird watching as well.

all4cake Posted 13 Jan 2010 , 2:41pm
post #5 of 8

A hockey stick used as a perch on a birdhouse....a jersey tucked within the twigs on a skate as a birdhouse...

mrswendel Posted 13 Jan 2010 , 3:50pm
post #6 of 8

thanks everyone. You guys definitely have your creative juices flowing this morning! She really wanted to go with a 3 tier cake.....but thanks to you guys I have some ideas that I can play with and sketch up.

any suggestions for a 3 tier cake (if she decides against the other ideas)?

megmarie Posted 13 Jan 2010 , 4:31pm
post #7 of 8

I think some of those ideas would look great in flat fondant images that you could put around the tiers. Or you could just go with a winter theme, a hockey game going on on the bottom tier, and birds flying in the snow on the other 2 tiers.

Good Luck!

matthewkyrankelly Posted 13 Jan 2010 , 4:58pm
post #8 of 8

Does he build birdhouses? I'm picturing a gumpaste birdhouse, maybe unfinished with some planks of wood. A ring of hockey sticks, in the same wood finish, in an "X" pattern around the bottom tier... maybe interchanged with some pucks.

Edible image birds surrounding the second tier.

Birdhouse on the top.

All wood tones and natural. No cartoon type birds. Very masculine.

Quote by @%username% on %date%