Barrier Between Pvc Or Wood And Cake Or Rct?

Decorating By cloetzu Updated 14 Jan 2010 , 10:10pm by Smashme

cloetzu Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cloetzu Posted 13 Jan 2010 , 12:54pm
post #1 of 11

Hello,

I'm wondering if anyone can explain somethign to me. I've been watching some of the cake decorating shows lately (Ace of Cakes, Cake Boss FoodNetwork Cake challenges) and have noticed (or it appears) that when they make a cake that requires either wood or PVC to support they put the cake or rice cerial treats right onto the wood or PVC. shouldn't there be a barrier between the two - somethign like plastic wrap or somethign else? is it really a good idea to have cake put on top of wood (especially wood that I just saw you drill into that has splinters sticking up)???? I know the plastic wrap my make it slippery but if not that then something? I never see the folks on TV wiping off or cleanign the PVC or wood even after they just burned it to bend it (PVC) - i really hope they are doing it!

so does anyone have any suggestions for a barrier or do you not use one?

10 replies
SecretAgentCakeBaker Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
SecretAgentCakeBaker Posted 13 Jan 2010 , 2:47pm
post #2 of 11

I don't know about the wood. If they are buying wood that has not been chemically treated, then it should be safe. We use wood cutting boards to cut food on.

As for the pvc, it should be fine. PVC pipes are used for the water in a lot of homes.

tastyart Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tastyart Posted 13 Jan 2010 , 3:02pm
post #3 of 11

I agree that the cake on the PVC should be fine IF it has been properly cleaned. Remember it has been sitting around a hardware store. I would wash it and disinfect with rubbing alcohol or vodka or something. I too am sceptical about the wood. I don't know how professionals handle that.

Jenn2179 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Jenn2179 Posted 13 Jan 2010 , 3:07pm
post #4 of 11

PVc is food safe. It is used for the piping for water almost everywhere. Not sure about the wood.

cakesbybert Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakesbybert Posted 13 Jan 2010 , 3:16pm
post #5 of 11

TV shows don't show all of the steps - pretty much all of the scenes showing cleaning up wood/pvc, etc are most likely laying on the editing room floor icon_smile.gif.
When I use wood I usually cover with contact paper or foil.

dandelion56602 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
dandelion56602 Posted 13 Jan 2010 , 3:29pm
post #6 of 11

I don't know if it would work, but RI might be an option

Mike1394 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Mike1394 Posted 13 Jan 2010 , 6:31pm
post #7 of 11

Most woods are food safe.

Mike

cloetzu Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cloetzu Posted 14 Jan 2010 , 12:50am
post #8 of 11

i guess I was just thinking that if I was a customer who bought a cake and cut into it and found that the cake was touching/laying on wood I might not like it...

Doug Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Doug Posted 14 Jan 2010 , 1:08am
post #9 of 11

well other than the "woody" taste the wood might impart....

many studies show wood is safer than plastic for food contact

1 such: http://faculty.vetmed.ucdavis.edu/faculty/docliver/Research/cuttingboard.htm (note how at end they say houses using wood boards have less problems with salmonella poisoning)

the problem with wood isn't the sanitation issue, it's a taste issue. could season wood with veggie oil, coat with food grade paraffin or food grade shellac if really worried it might impart a taste.

===
as for tv challenges -- it's SHOW BUSINESS -- those cakes are NOT eaten, so certain shortcuts and other little "no-nos" get overlooked.

(funny isn't it -- we WANT to impart wood taste to some foods -- smoked BBQ -- and in other cases it's a big ewwwwwww!)

cheatize Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cheatize Posted 14 Jan 2010 , 5:41am
post #10 of 11

It's tougher to find "natural" wood than you think. My daughter has a chinchilla and it's everywhere online that as long as you buy untreated wood at the hardware store, there are no chemicals in it. We talked to the guy at Lowes and he said all wood has had some chemicals used on it during the process from tree to board. Even kiln dried wood. Poor Mattimeo remains woodless to this day.

Smashme Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Smashme Posted 14 Jan 2010 , 10:10pm
post #11 of 11

yes, but what do you cover the board with other than fondant or fanci foil? i would like to be able to reuse them, are there other options?

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%