I Don't Think My Wilton Instructor Is Doing What She Should?

Lounge By JustToEatCake Updated 14 Jan 2010 , 4:19am by quilting2011

JustToEatCake Posted 13 Jan 2010 , 2:39am
post #1 of 13

First off we won't be doing but one cake on the last class, that's it, no rainbow cake, no clown cake.
Second she isn't teaching the transfer method at all.
Third, she recommened a shortening that is partly meat based...ugh..
Does this sound right to anyone? She IS nice and friendly but I thought icing a cake in buttercream (I've only done ganache) was part of the learning process. Yes I know I can do this on my own but it's why I paid for the class to get help.

12 replies
Jeep_girl816 Posted 13 Jan 2010 , 2:56am
post #2 of 13

Yeah, that doesn't quite sound like the standard Wilton method class to me either. Not sure who you should talk to about it though. Most instructors are paid by wilton/contracted through Michaels, not Michaels employees, to my understanding. Maybe email someone at Wilton??? Good luck

jammjenks Posted 13 Jan 2010 , 3:16am
post #3 of 13

What the heck is she doing during classtime then? Just making you all watch HER practice? Something's not right. I'd probably shoot Wilton an email.

JustToEatCake Posted 13 Jan 2010 , 4:23am
post #4 of 13
Quote:
Originally Posted by jammjenks

What the heck is she doing during classtime then? Just making you all watch HER practice? Something's not right. I'd probably shoot Wilton an email.

No, we actually are practicing with our icing. Doing the stars and copying the practice board and we did a clown and roses tonite (2nd class).

Edited to add, the first nite we just watched her and read the book.

TexasSugar Posted 13 Jan 2010 , 2:38pm
post #5 of 13

The first night you do just watch her demo how to make icing, how to torte and fill a cake and how to ice the cake.

For the other three lessons you should be bringing a cake every week and you have class time to decorate it.

I would first talk to the store manager and let him know that you are not getting everything you paid for in the class. If there is another store in the area that offers it I would ask for your money back and go there.

Second I would contact Wilton and let them know about this instructor. WMIs are self policed really. My manager has never come in and watched my classes so he wouldn't even have an idea if I am doing things right or wrong. And my Wilton Supervisor is in FL, which is several states away from me, so it isn't likely she is ever just gonna walk into the classroom to check on me.

Wilton needs to know that this instructor, while she may be a nice lady is not doing her job. Her job is to follow the book and teach you everything in it. Wilton wants you to bring a cake every week as reinforcement to practice what you learn and to practice icing a cake.

JustToEatCake Posted 13 Jan 2010 , 3:07pm
post #6 of 13
Quote:
Originally Posted by TexasSugar

The first night you do just watch her demo how to make icing, how to torte and fill a cake and how to ice the cake.

For the other three lessons you should be bringing a cake every week and you have class time to decorate it.

I would first talk to the store manager and let him know that you are not getting everything you paid for in the class. If there is another store in the area that offers it I would ask for your money back and go there.

Second I would contact Wilton and let them know about this instructor. WMIs are self policed really. My manager has never come in and watched my classes so he wouldn't even have an idea if I am doing things right or wrong. And my Wilton Supervisor is in FL, which is several states away from me, so it isn't likely she is ever just gonna walk into the classroom to check on me.

Wilton needs to know that this instructor, while she may be a nice lady is not doing her job. Her job is to follow the book and teach you everything in it. Wilton wants you to bring a cake every week as reinforcement to practice what you learn and to practice icing a cake.

Thanks, I will contact Wilton but since I am already 2 weeks in, I'll continue to get my certificate. I ordered Sugarshacks DVD last nite for the icing instuction since I wasn't getting any in class. I wanted it anyway and this was just the catapult.

The class was half price and then you get a 15.00 certificate so all in all it's not much. I do enjoy the people in the class and have made a new friend so I'll finish out this one but will definitely contact Wilton.

I actually asked the teacher "aren't we supposed to be bringing a cake? Aren't we supposed to be making the rainbow cake?". I didn't want to make the rainbow cake if you remember I posted about that. I was instructed to just follow the teacher's rules and dont' be a know it all so it made it difficult for me to even question her but I did because I was the only one who brought a cake.

Anyway I won't take another class there and neither will the friend I have made. She knew things were right because her HUSBAND told her she was supposed to be bringing a cake. I think he researched the classes for her (sweet hubby). So they are losing money because some students are going elsewhere.

Thanks for the advice, I'll see who I can contact at Wilton.

momg9 Posted 13 Jan 2010 , 3:09pm
post #7 of 13

You should be doing the transfer the 2nd night and the clown the 3rd night, each time decorating a cake. Is it 4 weeks? It sounds like she's trying to cut it down to 3.

JustToEatCake Posted 13 Jan 2010 , 3:41pm
post #8 of 13
Quote:
Originally Posted by momg9

You should be doing the transfer the 2nd night and the clown the 3rd night, each time decorating a cake. Is it 4 weeks? It sounds like she's trying to cut it down to 3.

No, we actually are going 4 nites but we aren't brining a cake until the LAST nite. I've never done transfer and did want to learn that too. I thought the same as you said that's why I brought in a cake, the only one who did.

TexasSugar Posted 13 Jan 2010 , 4:26pm
post #9 of 13

Please also let the Manager at the store know what is up as well. They need to know as well, so that may be they will do something about it on their end.

Questioning things that the book says you should be doing and are not is not being a know it all. icon_wink.gif The book is your guide for the class and you should be covering everything in it.

jodibug0975 Posted 13 Jan 2010 , 4:26pm
post #10 of 13

Just wanted to mention that I got the $15 certs for myself and my daughter after our last class and won't ever use them. They have a very limited list of things you can order. I remember the levelers and vanilla being on there. There is a little more, but I can't remember what they are.

But by the time you add shipping it is cheaper to buy the stuff at Michaels, JoAnn or Hobby Lobby with a 40% off coupon. So my $30 worth of gift certificates went in the trash.

That said.... in class one we brought a cake the second, third and fourth weeks. In class two no cake until the last week. In class three I really can't remember.... I think we did the gift package cake the second week and the two tiered cake the last week. Not sure if we did others.

But I know for sure that in the first class I did the rainbow cake, the clown cake.... and I can't remember what the last one was, but it probably had roses on it.

Loucinda Posted 13 Jan 2010 , 5:56pm
post #11 of 13

I agree with Texas Sugar - she isn't doing as she is supposed to, and that needs to be addressed.

That being said, no wilton instructor is going to go into the great detail (such as getting your cake perfect) like Sharon does in her DVD's. Wilton is an intro to cake decorating, not anything in depth on the techniques.

ShelleyMJ Posted 13 Jan 2010 , 6:02pm
post #12 of 13

I would certainly contact Wilton.

You will love Sharon's DVD's. As a relatively new caker myself, I refer to the DVD's my husband purchased for me for Christmas quite a bit. I have the Boxes and Bows, Buttercream and Fondant! LOVE THEM!

I really like the idea of having a pro at my fingertips!

quilting2011 Posted 14 Jan 2010 , 4:19am
post #13 of 13

Contact Wilton.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%