Two Layers Of Fondant

Decorating By sister340 Updated 13 Jan 2010 , 7:42pm by sister340

sister340 Posted 13 Jan 2010 , 1:57am
post #1 of 6

Can someone tell me how to do the cakes where there is a top layer of fondant that goes about half way down over the first layer. I've often seen the top layer with a scalloped edge. Reminds me of a tablecloth over a table type look.

5 replies
scgriffiths Posted 13 Jan 2010 , 4:24am
post #2 of 6

That's something I'd like to know too. icon_biggrin.gif

CakeMommyTX Posted 13 Jan 2010 , 4:46am
post #3 of 6

When I do it I either cover the cake in fondant or buttercream, then add the second piece on top, smooth it about half way down and then cut it at the right length with a Xacto knife and remove the excess.
Here are a few examples:

Mensch Posted 13 Jan 2010 , 4:55am
post #4 of 6

I do this all the time. I don't want that much Rf on a cake, so I cut a long strip and wrap around the cake, even off the top edge, the roll the 'tablecloth' layer out, place the same size pan ob top and scribe a round it. I can the cut out the top fondant in the shape I want (scallops, etc).

luv2c_cultures Posted 13 Jan 2010 , 4:57am
post #5 of 6

I have been curious about this too.

How do you get the cuts so smooth and so evenly spaced if you are cutting it when it is already on the cake?

sister340 Posted 13 Jan 2010 , 7:42pm
post #6 of 6

Thanks! Can't wait to try this.

Quote by @%username% on %date%