Cake Boss-Buddy's Cake On A Recent Episode

Decorating By Donnawb Updated 14 Jan 2010 , 8:29pm by Tickled_Pink

Donnawb Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Donnawb Posted 13 Jan 2010 , 1:55am
post #1 of 19

Did anyone see the Cake Boss episode last week (and it was reran this week) with the wedding cake that was covered with roses? Were they gumpaste flowers on floral wire that he was sticking in the cake? I thought this wasn't safe. Was it something else besides wire he was sticking in the cake?

18 replies
pattycakesnj Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
pattycakesnj Posted 13 Jan 2010 , 2:11am
post #2 of 19

I believe he does stick the wire right in cakes. I put in straws first because I don't want wire touching the cake as it is not food safe

Donnawb Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Donnawb Posted 13 Jan 2010 , 2:30am
post #3 of 19

The whole 3 tier cake was covered with roses. I'm just shocked there would be that much wire in there.

The_Lil_Cakehouse Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
The_Lil_Cakehouse Posted 13 Jan 2010 , 2:34am
post #4 of 19

I think he had put floral tape around them....still not sure if that is safe, but I'm pretty sure that's what I heard him say icon_smile.gif

Jeep_girl816 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Jeep_girl816 Posted 13 Jan 2010 , 2:39am
post #5 of 19

It was really, really, pretty, but jeez, covered, taped, or not that would be a lot of wires shoved in a cake....

dg10148 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
dg10148 Posted 13 Jan 2010 , 2:48am
post #6 of 19

I think they said they were sanitized before they were put in the cake.

mrsc808 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mrsc808 Posted 13 Jan 2010 , 3:17am
post #7 of 19

I watched it last night and I didn't hear anything about it being sanitized first. My impression was that he was sticking them directly into the cake without any tape.

niragub Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
niragub Posted 13 Jan 2010 , 3:55am
post #8 of 19

The peacock feather were sanitized. The floral tape was for the branches and the roses he did not mention if they were sanitized or not. It seemed that he just stuck the wires in. The full episode is on the TLC website. icon_biggrin.gif

CakeMommyTX Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CakeMommyTX Posted 13 Jan 2010 , 4:20am
post #9 of 19

I've seen him assemble cakes before on the show and sticks the wires directly into the cake, always wondered about that.
Of course I've seen other shows where they place cake directly onto uncovered styrofoam, no cardboard seperator or anything...yummy, who wants some styrofoam flavored cake?

Fairytale Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Fairytale Posted 13 Jan 2010 , 4:36am
post #10 of 19

Colette Peters puts her's directly into the cake. I do too. The only thing you have to watch out for is that if you put to many in, you can destabilize the cake because it has to many holes. It's almost like slicing it up.

muddpuppy Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
muddpuppy Posted 13 Jan 2010 , 1:12pm
post #11 of 19

Is it me, or did the new Martha Stewart Weddings have a cake on the cover that was completely covered in roses too?.... A new trend?

HarleyDee Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
HarleyDee Posted 13 Jan 2010 , 9:50pm
post #12 of 19

Yip, he wraps with floral tape and sticks them right in. I didn't get to see the Martha Stewart one, but I'm going to attempt a two tiered one for my bridal show at the end of this month. If I can take making that many roses that is icon_biggrin.gif

Cakepro Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Cakepro Posted 13 Jan 2010 , 11:09pm
post #13 of 19

No matter what you see people on TV do, neither wire nor floral tape is food safe and neither should be stuck directly in cake. I have often wanted to call Buddy's shop and scold him about doing that - not only for his customers' sake but because SO many people watch him and emulate him with the mentality that "if I saw it on TV, it MUST be okay."

Not cool.

Renaejrk Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Renaejrk Posted 14 Jan 2010 , 4:49am
post #14 of 19

I know - ew! I wouldn't want a cake with all that wire stuck in it!

madgeowens Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
madgeowens Posted 14 Jan 2010 , 5:02am
post #15 of 19

I saw the wire was covered with something white....all I can offer

Chippi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Chippi Posted 14 Jan 2010 , 5:11am
post #16 of 19

I watched it and yea I think he was using those white cloth/cotton covered wires. I have some in my cake drawers. Wire is not exposed but the end is.

Renaejrk Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Renaejrk Posted 14 Jan 2010 , 5:20am
post #17 of 19

I didn't pay much attention to it when I watched it - was busy with something else really - I hope he did use the covered ones, at least that is better!

madgeowens Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
madgeowens Posted 14 Jan 2010 , 6:17am
post #18 of 19

yes they were covered with a white material

Tickled_Pink Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Tickled_Pink Posted 14 Jan 2010 , 8:29pm
post #19 of 19

What bothered me more than the wire stuck in the cake was that he stuck supposedly "sanitized" feathers into it!!!! I love Buddy, his cakes and the show- but I gave a big yikes when he poked the feathers directly in it!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%