As I'm pouring the sugar into the mold, the mold wants to collapse onto itself. I tried putting into a sippy cup, but parts of it want to fold in. What am I doing wrong? How do you get it to stay stiff while I pour the sugar....do I let the sugar cool a tad before pouring?
Any help would be great right now!
Are you rotating the mold as you pour so it coats evenly?
Yes, and as the sugar gets to the top (from rotating) that's what wants to fall down onto where I'm pouring. I thought it was because the sugar was so hot, it made the mold very flimsy.
I made a sand mold to put it in and prop it up when it got to hot to hold and you can still rotate it.
How did you make a sand mold?
I put sand in a plastic garbage bag mixed with a little water took the beer bottle and made an impression . Not to much water just enough to make a mold
That's terrific....I will give it a try! Thanks.
Remember to keep turning that mold so the sugar doesn't start to harden in one spot or your mold will collapse. You will need to elevate the mold at one end I put the closed end down so I can pour and turn at the open end. I hope this makes sense. If not let me know and I will try and help.
I think I was turning it too fast. A lot of the sugar went down to the neck and it filled up. Did I pour it too fast then? The sugar I was pouring seamed to be cooling fast, so I wanted to get it in there. How do I master the turn and pour tecnique?
The thing that worked best for me was to put have my husband pour (SLOWLY) while I rotated the bottle (also supported in a mold). Doing it on my own just wasnt working for me- but I'm not exactly known for my coordination, either, lol!
Mine filled up at the neck to it will turn out just keep turning not to fast so the sugar can cool and you will fill it get hard and once it starts getting hard you can see where you might have thin spots and just roll the sugar in those spots keep it on the sand mold and just keep turning holding the top of the mold to turn.
Thanks for all your help. I think it turned out all right. It was thin near the bottom of the bottle and it broke when I unmolded it. So now I think I got it. I know what to do for the next one.
kello - what would you say if I told you that you shouldn't have to hold the mold and turn it while pouring? What if I told you that you could make a perfect sugar bottle every 20 minutes and there would not be any thick or thin sections? Stay tuned - a video is coming that will solve all your problems. I am filming right now. If you want to receive this free video as soon as it comes out, go to www.MakeYourOwnMolds.com and join my mailing list on any page. You will get the video free and soon!
Here is a solution for your current situation. The problem is that your mold does not have the structural stability to hold the sugar and therefore it fails. Try this: get a container that is deeper than your mold is high. Fill it with unpopped popcorn or dry rice. Place your mold down into the rice or popcorn and fill it with your sugar mixture. Wait 3 minutes and then pour the sugar out of the mold back into your pouring pot. Let it all drip out until it stops on its own. I suspect that there will be enough sugar lining the mold that it will have a little more structure to it. Put the mold outside and allow to cool down and then try unmolding.
Hope This Helps.
Thanks for the info Dominic. Wish I had the video like, NOW! The one on youtube seemed so effortless. I need this cake done by Friday, so I will try your method later today.
I'm going to join your mailing list right now....
Kello - you can watch Kalya1505's video to get a better idea of what Dominic is suggesting until you can see the MYOM video.
Skip to the 3:00 minute mark for the pouring.
She has a helper pouring the sugar, but uses a cup to hold the bottle while turning. My preference is a soup can with both ends cut off so that it is more of a "sleeve.". If the sugar all goes into the neck, you'll need to tilt the bottle more on its side to help the sugar flow back to the sides. I also find her method of using a nearby fan to be very helpful for me.
here is her thread about the video too - good luck!
Dominic that is a great tip! I will have to try that next time....or tonight just for practice. Any suggestions for working in high humidity? Even isomalt seems to melt where I live, but then again I was in the middle of a nor'easter at the beach when I tried the isomalt. Talk about moisture problems!
sugarMomma - You don't have to worry about humidity affecting your isomalt pieces until they have cooled down . If it is very humid, isomalt or any other sugar product will start to absorb the moisture and redissolve itself in the moisture. To stop this, you must place your Isomalt in a dry environment. The best way to do this is to place your finished isomalt pieces in a somewhat airtight container like a food storage container and place Silica Gel packs inside to absorb the moisture. With a lid on the container, the silica gel packs will absorb every bit of moisture in the container and keep it that way. Your Isomalt decorations can stay clear and shiny indefinitely when packed this way.
Hope This Helps,
thanks Dominic. I actually did have to make a "silica box" for my first beer bottles one year, using a sugar/isomalt mix. Worked great for the bottles.
I had heard straight isomalt would hold up to hmidity better, but that was not the case when I made isomalt jewels. They all turned to melted blobs overnight, didn't know I should have contained them too, thanks for explaining.
When I saw they had melted, I made fresh ones and placed directly on cake but the moisture from the buttercream melted those...
Is there a recipe out there to prevent that from happening? I know you can order sugar jewels from cake suppliers, how do they keep theirs in solid form? I prefer to make my own from molds, and make my own molds, but the advice I have gotten from most decorators is to buy the jewels. Less headache (but more pricey).
sugarMomma - It sounds to me like you may not have cooked the sugar to a high enough temperature to drive all the water out of you isomalt mix. I recommend that you cook Isomalt/water mixture to 338 degrees. If you don't cook the isomalt enough, the traces of water still present in the mixture contribute greatly to the melting you described. The Isomalt gems that you can buy are professionally cooked to the proper temperatures quite possibly with industrial candy cooking equipment. Also, add your color at the 300 mark while cooling the Isomalt. Don't use liquid food color, paste or powder is better because they have less water in them.
Another tip I have is to back your gems with chocolate or confectioner's glaze which will form a barrier between the sugar gem and the buttercream. Buttercream does have alot of moisture in it.
Hope This Helps,
Dominic.... I cooked my isomalt to the correct temp. and it seemed to have yellowed quite a bit...I thought I over cooked it. Is there something to do to get it a clearer color?
Kello, Here are my tips for clear Isomalt.
1. Use distilled water - many parts of the country have what is called hard water. The minerals in tap water can turn brown when exposed to elevated temperatures but because there is so little of these minerals you perceive it as a yellowing effect.
2. Add only enough water so the isomalt looks like wet sand.
3. Use Stainless Steel pots and Stainless Steel utensils for stirring. Do not use a wooden spoon. Foreign materials in the wood leach out into the isomalt which can turn the mixture yellow.
4. Do not use a natural bristle brush to wash down the sides of the pot once isomalt comes to a boil. Use a nylon pastry brush. There are a host of chemicals and conditioning agents in the natural bristles that can turn your isomalt yellow.
5. Stop stirring isomalt water mixture when it comes to a boil.
6. Test your candy thermometer. many of them read inaccurately. Test by bringing water to a boil and inserting thermometer and observe the temperature is shows. It should read 212 degrees F.
7. Cook isomalt to 338 degrees f. Take off heat at about 334 and place bottom of pot in water to stop the cooking process. Allow the pot to stay in water only until the hissing stops. About 5 seconds.
8. Place isomalt in a 265 degree oven and allow to cool for 15 minutes. You will have no bubbles and pure, clear liquid crystal to pour all day.
Let know how this works for you.
That's awesome Dominic. I didn't think about distilled water. I used bottle water, cause I'm on a well. I will try that and using the oven. Great tips, thanks!!
I followed everything you suggested Dominic, and it made a big differnce. Thank you so much for sharing your instructions.
kello - That's why I'm here. Happy I could help.
I'm so glad to find these instructions before trying to make ice. Thank you so much Dominic!
tiggy2 - It is very rewarding for me that you find this forum helpful.
Dominic--I love your lace mold video--so incredibly helpful! I can't wait to see the next one--thanks!
Thanks for the tips Dominic, you helped make sense of my problem with moisture. I am so glad you are around!
It is my pleasure, sugarMomma.