Stack A 2 Or 3 Tier Cake

Decorating By SueW Updated 13 Jan 2010 , 5:54am by Googie79

SueW Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
SueW Posted 13 Jan 2010 , 1:29am
post #1 of 12

I have a silly question that I just can't seem to figure out. When stacking say a 3 tier cake what goes under each tier, a cardboard round? Wouldn't that get all soggy? If that is what you use then how would a center dowel go through all those rounds. I have seen plastic cake plates, are they for the same purpose?

I am trying so hard to figure this out, I have even watched videos but sometimes they don't even mention what is under each tier of cake dunce.gif

Can someone explain this to me? Thanks so much I am embarassed I don't know this yet icon_redface.gif

11 replies
Lcubed82 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Lcubed82 Posted 13 Jan 2010 , 2:09am
post #2 of 12

Ah, the mysteries of a decorated cake! We all started out as "muggles"!

Each tier should be on a cardboard circle. Some people do just stack with that. I prefer to put a plastic plate under for more stability. I just got and used the SPS system that is explained on this site. I did like how it held. Before that, I used the Wilton plates. I do prefer the hollow columns rather than dowels as I feel they are more stable. You may need to adjust your servings amount down one or two for each tier.

I slap some icing on the plastic plate, the put the cake tier on. The icing helps to "glue" it onto the plate.

If you use the plastic plates, you cannot use the center dowel. The SPS system has little pegs on each plate that serve the same purpose- keeping the tiers from slipping.

ZoesMum Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ZoesMum Posted 13 Jan 2010 , 2:14am
post #3 of 12

Yup, I use just a cardboard circles (not that I've done that many!), but then I cover it with foil to prevent the potential soggies. Then I can still use the centre dowel...sharpen it well, and then hammer it throught the tiers and it goes through the cardboard nicely. I took me a while to figure it out too!

pattycakesnj Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
pattycakesnj Posted 13 Jan 2010 , 2:30am
post #4 of 12

I use cardboard cake circles, they do not get soggy. I use a center dowel hammered thru all the tiers (just sharpen first with a pencil sharpner used only for cakes)

leah_s Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
leah_s Posted 13 Jan 2010 , 2:35am
post #5 of 12

Yes to the cardboard circles. No need to cover them - they will NOT get soggy. And of course, YES to SPS!!

SueW Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
SueW Posted 13 Jan 2010 , 2:59am
post #6 of 12

Thanks you guys! Your the best! It always amazes me how fast people are to jump in and help me with such beginner questions thumbs_up.gif

niragub Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
niragub Posted 13 Jan 2010 , 3:20am
post #7 of 12

For those who do use a center dowel do you use it for 2 tier cakes as well.

Mug-a-Bug Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Mug-a-Bug Posted 13 Jan 2010 , 3:26am
post #8 of 12

Yes, use a center dowel on all stacked cakes; unless you're using SPS (plastic plates).

erinalicia Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
erinalicia Posted 13 Jan 2010 , 3:44am
post #9 of 12

I suggest buying Sharon Zambito's (aka Sugarshack) DVD's. She explains the basics of stacking and her buttercream dvd is a must have!

I use regular cardboard cake rounds, I do not cover them and they are fine. I use bubble tea straws instead of wooden dowels or the hollow plastic dowels and they are sturdy. I've only done up to a 3 tier cake, but it was secure since I used a long sharpened dowel hammered down the center to support it, and I traveled over an hour with it.

I've used the SPS system twice now, and I thought it was pretty stable. I think I need to use it more to get comfortable with it, though.

something_sweet Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
something_sweet Posted 13 Jan 2010 , 3:44am
post #10 of 12

The cardboard rounds do not get soggy if they are waxed or coated. Otherwise, in my experience, they will. So I cover mine with plastic wrap.

Tug Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Tug Posted 13 Jan 2010 , 3:46am
post #11 of 12

I worry about the cardboard getting soggy since I too, am somewhat a cake muggle. Because of my worry, I use disposable styrofoam plates and cut them to size. They are readily available, easy to cut and there is no concern over soggy cardboard.

Googie79 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Googie79 Posted 13 Jan 2010 , 5:54am
post #12 of 12

I was actually wondering the exact same question posed by Sue, so THANK YOU to all the responses. You helped me figure out my situation and I didn't even need to ask!! It's nice to see someone else is wondering what I am. You all are great.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%